Q of tuning fork; resonant and natural frequency

In summary, a musician's tuning fork rings at A above middle C, 440Hz and a sound meter level meter indicates a decrease in sound intensity by a factor of 5 in 4 seconds. The Q of the tuning fork is equal to the natural frequency divided by twice the damping coefficient, and the damping coefficient can be found by taking the square root of the natural frequency squared minus twice the damping coefficient squared. While solving the problem, the responder initially chose the natural frequency to be 440Hz and obtained an answer of roughly 1000 for the Q, which is in agreement with the professor's statement that the Q of a tuning fork is roughly 1000. However, the professor's approach involved taking the resonant frequency to
Agent M27

Homework Statement

A musicians tuning fork rings at A above middle C, 440Hz. A sound meter level meter indicates the sound intensity decreases by a factor of 5 in 4 seconds. What is Q of the tuning fork?

Homework Equations

Q=[itex]\frac{\omega}{2\beta}[/itex]

[itex]\omega[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt{\omega_{0}^{2}-2\beta^{2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to solve this problem, I had the right answer if I chose the resonant frequency correctly to be 440Hz. Instead I understood the problem to be giving me the natural frequency since after a certain amount of time it equilibrated there, so to speak. Using this idea I solved for the resonant frequency and I got an answer on the order of 1000, which agrees with what my professor said in class, "the Q of a tuning fork is roughly 1000". However he took 440Hz as the resonant frequency and obtained a Q of roughly 7000. His answer was "because that is its resonant frequency" I kid you not, so I guess my understanding of the difference between the two is incorrect. So why is 440Hz the resonant frequency in this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
The tuning fork frequency does not change with time. If it starts at 440 it "ends" at 440. (I put "ends" in quot. marks since you are going after a linear solution which theoretically has no "end").

You need the expression for the time decay of the acoustic pressure. That decay is a function of Q.

Related to Q of tuning fork; resonant and natural frequency

What is the Q of a tuning fork?

The Q of a tuning fork is a measure of its quality factor, which describes the sharpness of its resonance. A higher Q indicates a more focused and sustained resonance, while a lower Q indicates a broader and less sustained resonance.

What is the resonant frequency of a tuning fork?

The resonant frequency of a tuning fork is the frequency at which it vibrates most strongly and produces the loudest sound. This frequency is determined by the physical characteristics of the tuning fork, such as its length, thickness, and material.

What is the natural frequency of a tuning fork?

The natural frequency of a tuning fork is the frequency at which it vibrates without any external force or input. This frequency is determined by the physical characteristics of the tuning fork, and can be thought of as its "default" frequency.

How does the Q of a tuning fork affect its sound?

The Q of a tuning fork directly affects the loudness and clarity of its sound. A higher Q results in a louder and more sustained sound, while a lower Q results in a softer and less sustained sound.

What factors can affect the Q of a tuning fork?

The Q of a tuning fork can be affected by various factors such as the material and design of the fork, the temperature, and any external forces acting on the fork. Changes in these factors can affect the sharpness and sustain of the resonance, resulting in a change in the Q value.