Q factor of [exercise] battle ropes vs. elastic tubing?

In summary, the "inertia wave" is a new exercise device that has a Quality Factor of ~5. The attraction of this device over battle ropes or chains is the amount of stored energy in the tubes themselves. The main reason this device got my attention is that it uses mechanical impedance to model our structural network.
FloatingBones
Hello. I'm providing a technical review of a new exercise device: the "inertia wave". .
The inventor knows this device is fundamentally different from battle ropes. After playing with one for a few days, I agree. I think that the simplest way to explain this to civilians is through the system's Quality Factor.

I think these elastic tubes have a Q Factor of ~5 (depending on the tension of the lines). OTOH, battle ropes essentially have no stored energy and thus a very small Q Factor -- less than 1. In other words, the attractiveness of elastic tubing over battle ropes (or chains) is the amount of stored energy in the tubes themselves. The "inertia wave" tubes are alive: you move the tubes; the tubes move you. I like it. Jumping off the ground while the tubes are oscillating gives a trippy feeling.

Would it help to provide a video of the "inertia wave" tubes to help calculate their Q Factor? I can get them oscillating, and then just stop moving. Anything else I should capture? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
A view from the side should make it easier to capture the amplitude. Attaching them to two fixed ends eliminates the human as damping or power source.

Peak to trough for me is a bit more than 5 feet. After I get good, I may get it amped up to about 6 feet.
mfb said:
Attaching them to two fixed ends eliminates the human as damping or power source.

It's clear the human is simultaneously driving and damping. Upper back muscles get very warm in a short workout; that's characteristic of eccentric (i.e., energy-absorbing) muscle contractions. Things are most interesting when the line gets out of phase with your hands; I suppose I'll get better at keeping everything in phase.

About 2 years ago, I noticed that mechanical impedance could be used to model our structural network. That's the main reason this toy got my attention. I never studied mechanical impedance before, but I seem to have remembered most of the material from an EECS signal processing course in the 80s.

There's a very nice article in a Springer book "Computational Dynamics" (1995) that explores the application of an impedance model to our musculoskeletal network. I put an excerpt up here. Dr. Ito's use of "impedance matching" makes huge sense. There's also "Optimal workloop energetics of muscle-actuated systems: an impedance matching view." (2010; doi: 10.1371/journal.pcbi.1000795).

Related to Q factor of [exercise] battle ropes vs. elastic tubing?

What is the Q factor of battle ropes and elastic tubing?

The Q factor, also known as the quality factor, is a measure of the damping ability of a material or equipment. It is a dimensionless quantity that compares the energy lost per cycle of oscillation to the energy stored per cycle.

How does the Q factor affect the performance of battle ropes and elastic tubing?

The Q factor plays a crucial role in the performance of battle ropes and elastic tubing. A higher Q factor indicates that the equipment has a lower damping ability, meaning that it is more efficient at transferring energy and creating a stronger force. On the other hand, a lower Q factor implies a higher damping ability, resulting in a weaker force and less efficient performance.

Which has a higher Q factor - battle ropes or elastic tubing?

Battle ropes typically have a higher Q factor than elastic tubing due to their larger diameter and heavier weight. This means that battle ropes are more efficient at transferring energy and creating a stronger force, making them ideal for high-intensity exercises.

How does the Q factor impact the level of difficulty in using battle ropes and elastic tubing?

The Q factor can significantly affect the level of difficulty in using battle ropes and elastic tubing. A higher Q factor means that the equipment is more efficient and requires less effort to generate a strong force, making it less challenging to use. In contrast, a lower Q factor results in a higher level of difficulty as it requires more effort to achieve the desired force.

Can the Q factor be adjusted for battle ropes and elastic tubing?

The Q factor of battle ropes and elastic tubing is determined by their physical properties and cannot be adjusted. However, choosing ropes or tubes with different diameters, weights, or materials can affect the Q factor and, consequently, the performance and level of difficulty of the exercises.