Pythagorean theorem and vectors

In summary, the displacement vector from camp to summit is -2450, 3867, and 2450 meters. The magnitude of the vector is 3.87 meters.
jai6638
The summit of a mountain, 2450 m above base camp, is measured on a map to be 4580 m horizonttally from the camp in a direction 32.4 degrees west of north. What are the components of the displacement vector from camp to summit? What is its magnitude? Choose the x-axis east, y-axis north and z axis up.

I made a right triangle with 2450 on the y-axis and 4580 on the x-axis with a theta of ( 90-32.4= 57.6 degrees) and use pythagorean theorm to find the resultant. However, the answer at the back of the book is different from mine..

Any ideas what am I doing wrong?

THanks

Physics news on Phys.org
i think 2450 m is for the z axis. to find the x and y components you will have to use 4580 and the angle given.

your right... it corresponds with textbook answer.. but why is it the Z axis? and not a right triangle with the two sides being 4580 and 2450?

thanks

it says that the components are -2450 , 3867 and 2450... Why is the first 2450 a negative?

Would it be possible for you to tell me what the diagram would look like? i'd really appreciate it.

thanks much.

A standard map has north upward, east to the right. A standard graph has positive y upward, positive x to the right.

That is, east is positive x, west is negative x.

You are welcome to set up your coordinates anyway you want but if they are not standard, you'd better say so!

jai6638 said:
it says that the components are -2450 , 3867 and 2450... Why is the first 2450 a negative?

Would it be possible for you to tell me what the diagram would look like? i'd really appreciate it.

thanks much.
jai6638 said:
What are the components of the displacement vector from camp to summit? What is its magnitude?
From camp to summit would have a negative x (North is 90 deg counterclockwise of East, plus the 32.4 degrees West of North), positive y (either sine of 122.4 or cosine of 32.4, depending on whether you want to change your reference or not), and a positive z.

Normally, the vector would be given with the x coordinate first, the y second, and the z third. Look at the similarity between your first coordinate and third coordinate (actually, the x is closer to -2454, which would be more in line with the significant digits used for the y).

For the magnitude, just use the Pythagorean Theorem (it works just as well in three dimensions as in two dimensions - in fact it works in any number of dimensions)

And, of course, the problem asked for the displacement vector, not just for the straight line distance between the two points!

Related to Pythagorean theorem and vectors

What is the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem is a mathematical principle that states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides.

How is the Pythagorean theorem related to vectors?

The Pythagorean theorem can be applied to vectors in two or three dimensions. In a two-dimensional vector space, the Pythagorean theorem can be used to find the magnitude of a vector by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. In a three-dimensional vector space, the Pythagorean theorem can be used to find the distance between two points.

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It can be represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction of the vector.

How is the Pythagorean theorem used to solve vector problems?

The Pythagorean theorem can be used to find the magnitude of a vector, which is often needed in vector problems. It can also be used to find the distance between two points in a three-dimensional vector space. Additionally, the Pythagorean theorem can be used in conjunction with other vector operations, such as addition and subtraction, to solve more complex vector problems.

Can the Pythagorean theorem be applied to non-right triangles?

No, the Pythagorean theorem can only be applied to right triangles, which have one angle that measures 90 degrees. It is not applicable to non-right triangles, as they do not have a hypotenuse and the theorem relies on the relationship between the hypotenuse and the other sides of a right triangle.