Adding Vectors-Calculating Magnitude and Location

• Thread starter kevbos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnitude
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the location and magnitude of a resultant force vector by adding multiple force vectors together. The first step is to find the x and y components of each force vector using trigonometry, and then add them together to get the resultant vector. The magnitude of the resultant vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem. There is also clarification on the notation used for the direction of the vectors.
kevbos

Homework Statement

File_000.jpg

Homework Equations

Pythagorean Theorem?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know you have to add the vectors to get the location. like (3,x) +(-5,-12), but I'm stuck from there. The last bit has no coordinates (x,0). For the first vector do I need to use Pythagorean theorem to solve for y? By adding these coordinates I would get the location, but how do I get the magnitude? Do I add 10, 4 and 16?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's kind of hard to read the image, but I'd first start off by finding the y-component of the first force.

I'm sort of bewildered by what the question is asking. What do they mean by find a force vector and its location. Its almost as if they want you to treat the vector as both a force and a distance. The problem is it can't be. The vector can only have one set of units so its one or the other.

Am I missing something?

I wonder if by asking for location, the problem is asking for the resultant force in component form.

My guess is the problem should read..

Find the final vector magnitude and direction.

Likes Nidum
kevbos said:
I know you have to add the vectors to get the location. like (3,x) +(-5,-12), but I'm stuck from there.

These are force vectors not displacement vectors. You can still add them using the same methods (eg head to tail method) but you get a resultant (total) force vector not a location. The resultant force vector runs from the origin (tail of first vector) to the head of the last vector.

The last bit has no coordinates (x,0).

The 3:5 and -12:-5 are not co-ordinates. They are telling you the direction of the vector (eg the slope or gradient). For example the first vector is at an angle of Tan-1(5/3) with respect to the horizontal.

The figure in lb is the magnitude of the force.

For the first vector do I need to use Pythagorean theorem to solve for y? By adding these coordinates I would get the location, but how do I get the magnitude? Do I add 10, 4 and 16?

For the first vector you know the magnitude (aka length) is 10 and can calculate the angle with the horizontal from the slope. You can then use trig to get the x and y components of the force.

Sorry for the minor edits I've had to make to this reply. I got interrupted.

Last edited:
CWatters said:
For example the first vector is at an angle of Tan-1(5/3) with respect to the horizontal.

Correction: The 5 is next to the hypotenuse so this is a 3-4-5 triangle and the angle is Tan-1(4/3).

Last edited:

Related to Adding Vectors-Calculating Magnitude and Location

1. How do I add vectors?

To add vectors, you must first identify the direction and magnitude of each vector. Then, you can use the head-to-tail method or the parallelogram method to get the resulting vector. In the head-to-tail method, you add the head of one vector to the tail of the other vector. In the parallelogram method, you draw a parallelogram using the two vectors as adjacent sides and the resulting vector is the diagonal of the parallelogram.

2. How do I calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is the length of the vector. To calculate the magnitude, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components. For example, if a vector has components of 3 and 4, the magnitude would be √(3^2 + 4^2) = 5.

3. How do I determine the direction of a vector?

The direction of a vector is given by the angle it makes with the horizontal axis. You can use trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine to calculate this angle. Alternatively, you can use the tangent function to calculate the angle between the vector and the vertical axis.

4. Can I add vectors in any order?

Yes, the order in which you add vectors does not matter. This is because the resulting vector will have the same magnitude and direction regardless of the order in which you add the individual vectors. However, the head-to-tail and parallelogram methods require you to add the vectors in a specific order for visual clarity.

5. How do I calculate the location of a vector?

The location of a vector is determined by its starting point or origin. To calculate the location, you need to know the magnitude and direction of the vector, as well as the coordinates of the starting point. You can use trigonometric functions to calculate the change in x and y coordinates based on the magnitude and direction of the vector, and then add these changes to the starting point's coordinates to get the final location.