Putting videos into the public domain

In summary, discussing or publicizing an invention or idea can make it unpatentable, so it is important to document and protect it before sharing it. It is recommended to consult a patent lawyer for serious patenting inquiries.
ramonegumpert
Dear Experts

If I invented something and took a video explaining it and include the date and time, and upload the video into the internet,
what happens to the patentability of this idea or product or invention?

Is there any benefit for doing so ?

Thank you for reading.

Have a nice day.

regards
Ramone

Engineering news on Phys.org
Anything that was made public cannot be patented any more. It's mostly ok to discuss it with your friends, but as soon as you get a large anonymous audience you cannot patent. So you would have to start the patent process before you publicise your idea.

Yep, ditto.

Normal procedure for securing a patent:
  1. Keep detailed records of your development in whatever form & format.
  2. As soon as the "patentable idea" crystallizes and presents itself, one should build a "patent disclosure" document. This puts the stake in the sand about WHO had the idea and at WHAT TIME they had the idea.
  3. Then later after most of the actual inventing is complete and proven, the actual patenting process starts with lawyers etc.

At least, that has been my experience. We were always told to never, ever divulge what our ideas were until it was documented formally. And anyone we communicated with had to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement.

Thanks for your advice 0xDEADBEEF and tygerdawg.

Am I also right to say that since I have made it unpatentable, it means I cannot patent it and no one else can?

If so, does this not mean that everyone can manufacture it without having to face any IP issues?

In this sense, it seems like its actually good for consumers.

Regards
Romone

If you are serious about patenting something, ask a patent lawyer. Getting advice on an internet chat forum is not legally sound.

Related to Putting videos into the public domain

What does it mean to put a video into the public domain?

Putting a video into the public domain means releasing it from all copyright restrictions and making it available for anyone to use, modify, and distribute without needing to obtain permission or pay royalties.

Do I need to do anything in order to put my video into the public domain?

In most cases, no. If you are the sole creator and owner of the video, you have the right to release it into the public domain without any additional steps. However, if there are other creators involved or if you have used copyrighted material in your video, you may need to obtain permission or utilize a Creative Commons license.

Can I earn money from a video that is in the public domain?

No, you cannot earn money directly from a video that is in the public domain. However, you can still monetize your video through other means such as advertising, sponsorships, or selling merchandise related to the video.

Are there any limitations to using a video from the public domain?

No, there are no limitations on how a video in the public domain can be used. However, it is important to note that the video may still be subject to other laws such as defamation or privacy laws. It is always best to do your research and ensure that you are not infringing on any other rights.

What are the benefits of putting a video into the public domain?

The main benefit is that it allows for the free and open use of your video by anyone. This can help increase the visibility and reach of your video, and also allows for others to build upon and create new content from your work. It also eliminates the need for complicated licensing agreements and potential legal issues.