Putting a matrix into Rational Canonical Form

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of diagonalizing a matrix and finding a conjugation matrix. The speaker presents their own method and asks for help in understanding why their result does not match the one in the text. The expert explains that both results are correct and that different possible conjugation matrices can be used, as long as they are invariant under the original matrix. The concept of direct summands and their relationship to the fundamental theorem of finitely generated modules over PIDs is also mentioned.
imurme8
I'm trying to put a matrix into RCF, and I keep running into problems. I've checked my work a few times, so I think I must be making a conceptual error. Here's what I've got: $$A=\left( \begin{matrix}2 & -2 & 14 \\ 0 & 3 & -7 \\ 0 & 0 & 2\end{matrix}\right)\quad \text{ so }\quad xI-A=\left( \begin{matrix}x-2 & 2 & -14 \\ 0 & x-3 & 7 \\ 0 & 0 & x-2\end{matrix}\right).$$Diagonalizing gives $$\overset{C_1\leftrightarrow C_2}{\longrightarrow}\left( \begin{matrix}2 & x-2 & -14 \\ x-3 & 0 & 7 \\0 & 0 & x-2\end{matrix}\right)\overset{R_2-(\frac{1}{2}x-\frac{3}{2})R_1\mapsto R_2}{\longrightarrow}\left( \begin{matrix}2 & x-2 & -14 \\ 0 & -\frac{1}{2}x^2+\frac{5}{2} x-3& 7x-14 \\0 & 0 & x-2\end{matrix}\right)$$$$\overset{C_2-(\frac{1}{2}x-1)C_1\mapsto C_2}{\longrightarrow}\left( \begin{matrix}2 & 0 & -14 \\ 0 & -\frac{1}{2}x^2+\frac{5}{2} x-3& 7x-14 \\0 & 0 & x-2\end{matrix}\right)\overset{C_3+7C_1\mapsto C_3}{\longrightarrow}\left(\begin{matrix}2 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & -\frac{1}{2}x^2+\frac{5}{2} x-3& 7x-14 \\0 & 0 & x-2\end{matrix}\right)$$$$\overset{C_3 \leftrightarrow C_2}{\longrightarrow}\left( \begin{matrix}2 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 7x-14 & -\frac{1}{2}x^2+\frac{5}{2} x-3\\0 & x-2 & 0 \end{matrix}\right)\overset{R_2\leftrightarrow R_3}{\longrightarrow}\left( \begin{matrix}2 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & x-2 & 0\\0 & 7x-14 & -\frac{1}{2}x^2+\frac{5}{2} x-3 \end{matrix}\right)$$$$\overset{R_3-7R_2\mapsto R_3}{\longrightarrow}\left( \begin{matrix}2 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & x-2 & 0\\0 & 0 & -\frac{1}{2}x^2+\frac{5}{2} x-3 \end{matrix}\right) \overset{ \frac{1}{2}C_1 }{ \longrightarrow } \left( \begin{matrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & x-2 & 0\\0 & 0 & -\frac{1}{2}x^2+\frac{5}{2} x-3 \end{matrix}\right)$$$$\overset{-2C_3}{\longrightarrow}\left( \begin{matrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & x-2 & 0\\0 & 0 & x^2-5x+6 \end{matrix}\right).$$The row operations we used were $$R_2-(\frac{1}{2}x-\frac{3}{2})R_1\mapsto R_2, R_2\leftrightarrow R_3, R_3-7R_2\mapsto R_3,$$ giving operations on the basis elements $$\{\beta_1, \beta_2, \beta_3\}$$ as follows: $$\beta_1+(\frac{1}{2}x - \frac{3}{2})\beta_2\mapsto \beta_1,$$ $$\beta_2\leftrightarrow \beta_1, \beta_2+7\beta_3\mapsto \beta_2.$$ So if we start with the standard basis for $$\mathbb{Q}^3 \quad \varepsilon_1=(1,0,0)\quad \varepsilon_2=(0,1,0)\quad \varepsilon_3=(0,0,1),$$ they should change to $$(\varepsilon_1, \varepsilon_2, \varepsilon_3)\to (\varepsilon_1+(\frac{1}{2}x-\frac{3}{2})\varepsilon_2, \varepsilon_2, \varepsilon_3)\to (\varepsilon_1+(\frac{1}{2}x-\frac{3}{2})\varepsilon_2, \varepsilon_3, \varepsilon_2)$$$$\to (\varepsilon_1+(\frac{1}{2}x-\frac{3}{2})\varepsilon_2, \varepsilon_3+7\varepsilon_2, \varepsilon_2).$$

I calculate that first entry is zero, as it should be since we have a unit in the first entry of the matrix. Then I get that the other two are $$(1,0,0)+7(0,1,0)=(0,7,1)$$ and $$(0,1,0).$$ This would give a conjugation matrix $$P=\left( \begin{matrix}0 & 0 & -2 \\ 7 & 1 & 3\\1 & 0 & 0 \end{matrix}\right).$$But this is not the answer in the text. What am I doing wrong? This is driving me crazy.

Here's a link to the way they do it in the text, using a different way to row reduce.

http://imgur.com/8BLgD
http://imgur.com/1OJuU
http://imgur.com/N7riK

Physics news on Phys.org
You're not making a mistake: your P is correct, as is theirs. Generally, there will be different possible P's, corresponding to different possible canonical bases (which in turn correspond to the different possible sequences of row/column operations performed in the beginning). Remember that you are finding bases for a direct sum decomposition of V that puts A into a nice form. It's possible to give different bases for each direct summand that will accomplish this, provided the bases are in some sense 'invariant under A'.

More specifically, suppose we know that P transforms A into rational form, i.e., ##P^{-1}AP## is in rational form. Then so will ##QP## for any Q that commutes with A, for in this case we would have ##(QP)^{-1}A(QP)=P^{-1}Q^{-1}AQP=P^{-1}Q^{-1}QAP=P^{-1}AP##.

Now note that your P and Dummit & Foote's P are related as follows: $$ \begin{pmatrix}0 & 0 & -2 \\ 7 & 1 & 3\\1 & 0 & 0\end{pmatrix} = \underbrace{\begin{pmatrix}2 & 2 & 0 \\0 & 1 & 0 \\0&0&1\end{pmatrix}}_{Q}\begin{pmatrix}-7 & -1 & -4 \\ 7 & 1 & 3\\1 & 0 & 0\end{pmatrix},$$ and we do indeed have that AQ=QA.

Thank you! I am now trying to understand how not only the basis, but the direct summands in the decomposition itself my not be canonical (i.e., the fundamental theorem of finitely generated modules over PIDs says that given two different elementary divisor decompositions, the direct summands must be isomorphic, but they may not always be the same. However, the p-primary components are invariant). Can you help me to conceptualize this? Thanks

Related to Putting a matrix into Rational Canonical Form

1. What is rational canonical form (RCF)?

RCF is a way of representing a square matrix in a simpler and more organized form. It is similar to the row-echelon form, but with an added condition that the leading coefficient of each row divides the leading coefficient of the next row.

2. Why is it important to put a matrix into RCF?

RCF allows for easier analysis and computation of a matrix. It highlights important properties of the matrix, such as the minimal polynomial and the invariant factors, which can be useful in solving problems related to the matrix.

3. How is a matrix put into RCF?

To put a matrix into RCF, we need to perform a series of elementary row operations on the matrix. These operations include swapping rows, multiplying a row by a non-zero scalar, and adding a multiple of one row to another row. With these operations, we can transform the matrix into a block diagonal form, with each block corresponding to an invariant factor.

4. Can any matrix be put into RCF?

Yes, any square matrix can be put into RCF. However, the resulting RCF may not be unique, as the order of the blocks can vary. Also, the matrix must be defined over a field, meaning that the entries must be elements of a division ring.

5. Are there any applications of RCF in real-world problems?

Yes, RCF has various applications in fields such as linear algebra, coding theory, and control theory. It can be used to solve systems of linear equations, factorize polynomials, and analyze the stability of systems. It is also used in the study of linear transformations and their corresponding matrices.