Push Me Pull You centre of mass motion

In summary, two identical blocks of mass m are attached by a massless spring and move on a frictionless horizontal plane. When one block is pushed against a wall and then released, the system's center of mass will undergo a two-phase motion. The first phase involves contact with the wall and the second phase involves no contact with the wall. The equations used to solve this problem are F=ma and F=-kx, and the normal reaction from the wall can be used to determine when contact is lost.
Maybe_Memorie

Homework Statement

Two identical blocks of mass m are attached via a massless spring of
spring constant k. The length of the spring in equilibrium is l. The
system moves on a frictionless horizontal plane.

With one block resting against a wall, the two blocks are pushed to-
gether, so that the spring gets compressed until its length is l/2, and
then released.
Find the motion of the centre of mass of the system after it is released.
Note: You should distinguish the two phases in which the block to the
left (i) is in contact with the wall and (ii) has lost contact with the
wall.

Homework Equations

F = ma
F= -kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need a hint on how to get startedwith this one please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Maybe_Memorie! :smile:

I assume you can do the part where there's still contact with the wall (ie, by pretending that the block is fixed to the wall :wink:)?

ok, find the normal reaction from the wall …

when that's zero, contact will be lost, and from then on you can assume that the wall isn't there! :biggrin:

Related to Push Me Pull You centre of mass motion

What is the "Push Me Pull You centre of mass motion"?

The "Push Me Pull You centre of mass motion" is a term used to describe the movement of an object or system where the centre of mass is shifted back and forth due to forces acting on it from opposite directions.

Why is the centre of mass important in this type of motion?

The centre of mass is important because it is the point at which all the mass of an object or system can be considered to be concentrated. In "Push Me Pull You" motion, the centre of mass helps us understand how the object or system will move and how forces will act on it.

What factors affect the centre of mass in "Push Me Pull You" motion?

The centre of mass is affected by the distribution of mass within the object or system, as well as the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on it. Any changes in these factors will cause the centre of mass to shift.

How does the centre of mass move in "Push Me Pull You" motion?

In this type of motion, the centre of mass will move in the direction of the net force acting on it. If the forces acting on the object or system are equal and opposite, the centre of mass will remain stationary. However, if the forces are not balanced, the centre of mass will move in the direction of the greater force.

What are some real-world examples of "Push Me Pull You" motion?

One example of "Push Me Pull You" motion is a tug-of-war game, where two teams pull on opposite ends of a rope. Another example is the motion of a pendulum, where the centre of mass swings back and forth due to the force of gravity pulling on it. Other examples include a see-saw, a balance scale, and a rocket taking off.