Purify Hard Booze with Brita - Enjoy a Great Tasting Caesar!

• Thread starter ShawnD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alcohol
In summary: I bet you £10 I can eat this rock."The jury is still out on that one. :shrug: That thread was so absolutely awesome. Props to tribdog for being the only person to ever do that.Lately there seems to be a lot of attention on using a Brita filter to purify hard booze in order to make it taste better. I just have to say that it works better than you can ever imagine. I ran some crappy tequila through the filter a few times, and the horrible taste is completely gone. Purified tequila just tastes like water with a really strong bite to it.but does it result in any reduction
ShawnD
Science Advisor
Lately there seems to be a lot of attention on using a Brita filter to purify hard booze in order to make it taste better. I just have to say that it works better than you can ever imagine. I ran some crappy tequila through the filter a few times, and the horrible taste is completely gone. Purified tequila just tastes like water with a really strong bite to it.

<-------- enjoying a great tasting ceasar that's 50% tequila :biggrin:

Just posting it here because we all know that deep down all students are hard core alcoholics. :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
good tip, cheers mate.

I don't know what's more interesting; this actually working or you finding out that it works.

Chrono said:
I don't know what's more interesting; this actually working or you finding out that it works.

Haha, seriously though, how does one go about finding something like this out?

I would never think of Brita-ing my alchohol. Even though i have none. :mad:

This might make cheap grocery store brand vodka drinkable! I'm all over this.

what a grand idea! only for the cheap stuff of course...

I could go for a beer or ten right about now. But I can't afford it. :frown: Oh well...

dekoi said:
Haha, seriously though, how does one go about finding something like this out?

I would never think of Brita-ing my alchohol. Even though i have none. :mad:

who woulda thought of grounding up disgusting cocao seeds to make chocolate? We owe our world to stupid ideas.

Smurf said:
who woulda thought of grounding up disgusting cocao seeds to make chocolate? We owe our world to stupid ideas.

Or the aguave cactus into tequila?

Tree sap into erasers, bottoms of shoes and condoms?

Large plants into furniture?

Semi conducting metalloids into computers?

Giant balloons with housing tied on for transportation?

Crude oil into high impact plastic?

The list goes on...

my point exactly. so there really is no such thing as a 'foolish' idea.

I disagree entirely! Take note:
"Let's microwave a ball of tinfoil for the entertainment value!"
"Oh my god a grease fire, best get a bucket of water"
"what do you suppose would happen if i were to stand behind this horse and kick it in the testicles?"
"I bet you £10 I can eat this rock."

The list could go on...

ShawnD, that is genius! I can save so much money on alcohol now.
Thanks for the tip.

How much's a Brita unit cost anyway ?

matthyaouw said:
"what do you suppose would happen if i were to stand behind this horse and kick it in the testicles?"

The list could go on...

Each and every one of those provides valuable contributions to human knowledge.

- "Wow, that gives me an idea for a great new use for braces! I'll fill my mouth with popcorn seeds and stick my head in the microwave."

- "Cool! Now my girlfriend will never notice that spot where I welded the plastic bottle to the carpet."

- "What a great new method of birth control! Horses and humans at the same time, no less."

- "Paper beats rock every time!"

BobG said:
- "Cool! Now my girlfriend will never notice that spot where I welded the plastic bottle to the carpet."

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

That thread was so absolutely awesome. Props to tribdog for being the only person to ever do that.

ShawnD said:
Lately there seems to be a lot of attention on using a Brita filter to purify hard booze in order to make it taste better. I just have to say that it works better than you can ever imagine. I ran some crappy tequila through the filter a few times, and the horrible taste is completely gone. Purified tequila just tastes like water with a really strong bite to it.

but does it result in any reduction of the hangover you get from drinking cheap booze?

matthyaouw said:

I can debunk most of those.

-Microwaving metallic foil does not damage the microwave or create any sort of safety hazard. A microwave and some tin foil can be the easiest way to safely entertain small children.
-It depends on the situation. If the grease is contained inside of something, adding water will cool it down and make it burn slower. If you add enough water, it might even put out the fire.
-Kicking a horse is just stupid :-p
-Eating limestone (aka: rock) will fix heartburn.

Goku, you can get a Brita for maybe $30. I'm not sure what the replacement filters cost.

Math Is Hard, I'm not sure about the hangover situation since I've never had one of those. What I can tell you is that purified alcohol doesn't give that light headed feeling that cheap booze does. It's sort of like what one of my teachers said "it's not the alcohol in beer that gets you drunk; it's all the other crap".

ShawnD said:
Math Is Hard, I'm not sure about the hangover situation since I've never had one of those. What I can tell you is that purified alcohol doesn't give that light headed feeling that cheap booze does. It's sort of like what one of my teachers said "it's not the alcohol in beer that gets you drunk; it's all the other crap".

Wow, that's what I always said about 'Harry Buffaloes'. It's not the four bottles of grain alcohol, it's all that damn wine you keep pouring in. Now, we'll have to add another bottle of grain alcohol!

While we're somewhat on topic, does anybody know why beer gets people drunk so much faster than hard liquor when drinking the same quantities of alcohol? I can drink 7 highballs (1 ounce of hard booze each) and be pretty ok. I can't drive after that much, but I'm still fairly composed. If I drink 3 beers, I'm totally incoherent.

ShawnD said:
-Eating limestone (aka: rock) will fix heartburn.

Doesn't kaolin clay do that?

Limestone is calcium carbonate. That's what's in Tums (and chalk).
What's kaolin clay?

Kaolin is what's in Pepto Bismol and Kaopectate. It coats the stomach to help treat stomach problems, such as nausea.

ShawnD said:
-It depends on the situation. If the grease is contained inside of something, adding water will cool it down and make it burn slower. If you add enough water, it might even put out the fire.

I don't think water is ever a good thing to put on a grease fire under any circumstance.

First of all, when there's a grease fire, people get panicked, and instead of pouring water on the flaming pot, the water gets thrown on. Flaming bits of grease get thrown all over the place and *whoosh*, kitchen goes up in flames.

If you're composed enough to just pour the water on, once the water hits the flaming grease, it explodes into clouds of steam (anyone who's ever deglazed a pan sees this happening), sending flaming bits of grease all over the place. *whoosh*, kitchen goes up in flames. And you get scalded by the steam to boot.

I've added water to grease lots of times and it has never made clouds of steam. Are you throwing hot water on grease or cold water on grease?

hey, an http://www.ohmygoditburns.com/wordpress/index.php?p=4 .

the documentation of their experiments makes for a fairly entertaining read.

Last edited by a moderator:
ShawnD said:
I've added water to grease lots of times and it has never made clouds of steam. Are you throwing hot water on grease or cold water on grease?
this usually happens to me when I'm working with pans full of hot hot grease (the kind I get after cooking). Doesn't matter what temperature the water is. what's more important is the grease temperature. if your grease happens to be relatively cool (below 100C), then you can probably get away with adding water and grease. if your grease is hotter than that (and flaming grease almost always is), then when the water hits the grease, it boils almost instantaneously.

If you've ever had a drop of water fall into a pan of hot oil (hot enough for deep frying or other cooking), it does a lot of popping as the water boils and vapourizes. if you only have a little bit of oil, then the popping sends tiny bits of hot grease flying all over the place. Now imagine if that hot grease is also flaming.

if you add a lot of water, eventually it will cool down, but once that first bit of water hits the pan and oil, you have instant boilage and popping, sending bits of flaming grease all over the place. and steam. lots of steam.

water and grease fires are generally just a bad thing.

Last edited:
imabug said:
hey, an http://www.ohmygoditburns.com/wordpress/index.php?p=4 .

the documentation of their experiments makes for a fairly entertaining read.
Who knew Brita filters were so versatile? :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
ShawnD said:
Goku, you can get a Brita for maybe $30. I'm not sure what the replacement filters cost.

The grocery store I work in, I noticed today, sells the whole thing for $22 dollars. I didn't see the filters to notice their price.

ShawnD said:
While we're somewhat on topic, does anybody know why beer gets people drunk so much faster than hard liquor when drinking the same quantities of alcohol? I can drink 7 highballs (1 ounce of hard booze each) and be pretty ok. I can't drive after that much, but I'm still fairly composed. If I drink 3 beers, I'm totally incoherent.

The carbonation in the beer speeds up the absorption of the alcohol. That’s why you should have hard alcohol before beer (with a little time between), not the other way around.

Cheers

Macgyver said:
The carbonation in the beer speeds up the absorption of the alcohol. That’s why you should have hard alcohol before beer (with a little time between), not the other way around.

Cheers

Liquor before beer, you're in the clear. Beer before liquor, never been sicker.

Believe me, its the truth. Don't do it in the wrong order. You will regret it, especially if you're doing heavy drinking.

franznietzsche said:
Liquor before beer, you're in the clear. Beer before liquor, never been sicker.

Believe me, its the truth. Don't do it in the wrong order. You will regret it, especially if you're doing heavy drinking.

This is from someone with tons of experience. :wink:

Chrono said:
This is from someone with tons of experience. :wink:

Yeah, well i did it the wrong way about ten times until i figured why the minute i took the first shot i began to feel like crap. Although I've notice that rum and cokes don't cause this problem.

franznietzsche said:
Yeah, well i did it the wrong way about ten times until i figured why the minute i took the first shot i began to feel like crap. Although I've notice that rum and cokes don't cause this problem.

Yeah it sucks. I, myself have only done it 'the wrong way' a few times. I don't think it bothered me that much though. But I did have a beer after a lot of vodka the other night and it was the best damned beer I've had in a loooong time. Mmmm...

check said:
Yeah it sucks. I, myself have only done it 'the wrong way' a few times. I don't think it bothered me that much though. But I did have a beer after a lot of vodka the other night and it was the best damned beer I've had in a loooong time. Mmmm...

2 smirnoffs --> 5 shots ofvodka.

Bad way to go.

5 shotsof vodka -----> 2 smirnoffs.

Much Better.

I think vodka is best mixed with lemonade.
I don't remember the ratios of sugar, water, lemon juice, vodka and a bit of Sprite I think, but I made a real killer mix a few years ago that was such a hit at a party I got nicknamed 'the professor' and had requests for the stuff even a year later. LoL
Maybe I'll work on it next weekend.
Vodka+lemonade is the way to go.

Related to Purify Hard Booze with Brita - Enjoy a Great Tasting Caesar!

1. How does purifying hard booze with Brita improve the taste of a Caesar?

Purifying hard booze with Brita removes impurities and harsh flavors, resulting in a smoother and more enjoyable taste. This is especially beneficial for Caesars, as the mix of ingredients can often be overpowered by the taste of the alcohol.

2. Is it safe to purify hard booze with Brita?

Yes, it is safe to purify hard booze with Brita. The filter is designed to remove impurities and not alter the alcohol content, making it safe for consumption.

3. How long does it take to purify hard booze with Brita?

The time it takes to purify hard booze with Brita depends on the type and quality of the alcohol. On average, it takes about 15-20 minutes for the alcohol to pass through the filter and be purified.

4. Can I reuse the Brita filter for purifying hard booze?

Yes, you can reuse the Brita filter for purifying hard booze. However, it is recommended to replace the filter after a certain number of uses to ensure maximum effectiveness.

5. What types of hard booze can be purified with Brita?

Brita filters can be used to purify a variety of hard booze, including vodka, gin, whiskey, and tequila. However, it may not be as effective for darker liquors that have a stronger flavor profile.