Pumps having hot roller bearing

In summary: There is no real vibration in the bearing pedestal, which suggests there is too much lubrication and the bearing endplay/pre-load may need to be looked at.
Banting
I am working on a new 45kW centrifugal water pump, which is >70C at the roller bearing pedestal. I wonder what' s causing such high temperature.

The vibration measured at the bearing pedestal is indeed very small. The pump seems to be well balanced and lubricated.

Attachments

• Vibr Result.jpg
    Vibr Result.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 425
Engineering news on Phys.org
if there is no real vibration, the bearing endplay/pre-load would be where I looked next. unless some "lands" around the bearing are causing the rubbing of other surfaces (bearing bore too deep, etc)

dr

Let's get some more info on this one data point:

- Is this a new installation?
- Have you verified your instrumentation?
- pump speed =?
- # of balls in the suspect bearing = ?
- what kind of load, i.e. flow and pressure?
- Any other operational info
- Has the pump been recently serviced?
- Are you sure the bearing is cooled properly?

Usually an overtemp with low vibs is a sign of either too little or too much lubrication. In the case of too much, the scavenge of the cooling flow in insufficient to get the fluid away from the bearing so it just keeps heat soaking the bearing. It is especially important to look at recent maintenance and any other things that could have been done to the pump, i.e. its history.

Some additonal informations

- Is this a new installation?
Yes, both the pump and motors are new
- Have you verified your instrumentation?
The sensors were calibrated just before the measurement
- pump speed =?
740rpm
- # of balls in the suspect bearing = ?
Roller bearing, 14 rollers dia 25.7mm, bearing pitch dia 132.5mm
- what kind of load, i.e. flow and pressure?
- Any other operational info
Design flowrate is 0.35m^3/s, pressure head is 8m
- Has the pump been recently serviced?
I don't know exactly how long the pump is in service, i think it s about a week or two
- Are you sure the bearing is cooled properly?
I don't know the amount of lubricants. We would check with the pump operator if it is the suspicuous cause

Because this is a new installation, did anyone verify alignment when it was installed?

Last edited:

Related to Pumps having hot roller bearing

What are hot roller bearings?

Hot roller bearings are a type of rolling element bearing that is designed to withstand high temperatures. They are commonly used in industrial applications where the operating temperatures can reach up to 300 degrees Celsius.

Why are hot roller bearings used in pumps?

Hot roller bearings are used in pumps because they can handle the high temperatures and heavy loads that are often present in pump applications. They also have a longer lifespan compared to other types of bearings, making them a cost-effective option for pump manufacturers.

What are the benefits of using hot roller bearings in pumps?

The main benefits of using hot roller bearings in pumps include their ability to withstand high temperatures, their durability under heavy loads, and their longer lifespan. They also require less maintenance and have lower friction, resulting in improved efficiency and cost savings.

What factors should be considered when selecting hot roller bearings for pumps?

When selecting hot roller bearings for pumps, factors such as operating temperature, load capacity, speed, and lubrication requirements should be taken into account. It is important to choose bearings that are specifically designed for the intended application to ensure optimal performance and longevity.

What are some common maintenance practices for hot roller bearings in pumps?

Regular lubrication and monitoring of operating temperatures are key maintenance practices for hot roller bearings in pumps. It is also important to inspect and replace bearings when necessary to prevent failures and downtime. Proper handling and storage of bearings can also contribute to their longevity.