Pumpkin Swing: Calculating Speed at θ=30°, L=5m, g=9.8m/s2, m=10kg

• Thread starter physicsgivesmeCs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Swing
In summary, the pumpkin is moving at a speed of 3.6 m/s at the bottom of its swing, assuming an angle of 30 degrees from the vertical, a string length of 5 m, a mass of 10 kg, and no air resistance or friction. Using an energy argument, the potential energy (PE) of the pumpkin is equal to its kinetic energy (KE), and the height (h) of the pumpkin can be calculated using the equation PE = mgh. With this information, the velocity (v) of the pumpkin can be found using the equation KE = 0.5mv^2, resulting in a velocity of 3.6 m/s.
physicsgivesmeCs
How fast is the pumpkin moving at the bottom if theta = 30 degrees, L = 5 m, g = 9.8 m/s^2, m = 10 kg.

L is the length of the string holding the pumpkin. M is the mass of the pumpkin. It's like a pendulum, the pumpkin is positioned at 30 degrees from the vertical and let go. Assume no air resistance/friction.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why don't you try an energy argument?

potential + kinetic energy = constant

cookiemonster

could you please explain what you mean a little? I am lost with that problem, too.

This is what I'm thinking, but i don't know what to do with the angle and all and if I'm doing this correctly or not:

TE = PE + KE
PE = KE
mgh = mv^2
sqrt ((mgh)/m) = v
sqrt (gh)= v
sqrt (9.8m/s^2 * 5.0m) = v
v = 7 m/s

Please help me if you can, thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Your approach is good, but your expression for potential energy is not correct.

Let the position at theta = 0 (hanging straight down) have a potential of 0. So now the question is, "If the pendulum is at an angle of 30 degrees, how high is the bob?" Why don't you draw a triangle?

cookiemonster

Originally posted by cookiemonster
Your approach is good, but your expression for potential energy is not correct. Try to see if you can't include the angle in there.

cookiemonster

can't or can?

I hadn't read your post carefully enough to realize you needed help with the angle. I edited my post to include some helpful information.

And just for a fun little exercise in English, the sentences with "can" and "can't" mean exactly the same thing!

cookiemonster

Last edited:
if i did it right, i got 1.25m high from the bottom point, is that correct?

What triangle did you use?

cookiemonster

Hold on, i am about to post up the picture i drew

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3ss2y/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/pumpkin.jpg

i used the big triangle to find the hypotenuse of the small triangle (circled in green) then i used the laws of sine to determine the height of da pumpkin from the bottom point where PE = 0

Well, I'm not quite sure I understand your triangle. I'll describe the one you're going to want to use:

We're going to let the string and bob form the hypotenuse. So the hypotenuse will always have length 5. Additionally, we want to get a value for y, so the other two sides will be in the up-down direction and left-right direction. Since we want the up-down and left-right dimensions to form a triangle with the string, put the up-down side directly below the place where the string is hanging and the left-right side right to the side of the bob. I assume the angle is of the hypotenuse off of the up-down side, so the angle on the top of this triangle will be 30. Now you can calculate the y height.

Just remember that this is the height from the top, whereas you're looking for the height from the bottom.

Edit: In response to your post and diagram (I understand it now), you're assigning the value of 5 to the wrong side. Your approach can work, but it's more difficult than it needs to be.

cookiemonster

could you please post a picture of what you're trying to say?

edit: wait i think i know what you're talking about now

Hope it works... I don't have a webspace of my own (that I know how to use).

cookiemonster

Attachments

• new bitmap image.jpg
    new bitmap image.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 364
thanks for the picture, it is very helpful.

Ok, so when i solve for the adjacent side (up-down), i get 4.33m from the top, meaning the pendulum is .66m from the bottom. So when i solve the problem to find the velocity, for height in PE = mgh, i use .66m to get:

PE = KE
mgh = .5mv^2
gh = .5v^2
sqrt (gh/.5) = v
sqrt ((9.8m/s^2 * .66m)/.5) = v
v = 3.6 m/s

Is that correct?

Yup. Good job.

cookiemonster

thanks for all the help :smile:

Related to Pumpkin Swing: Calculating Speed at θ=30°, L=5m, g=9.8m/s2, m=10kg

1. What is the formula for calculating the speed of a pumpkin swing?

The formula for calculating the speed of a pumpkin swing at θ=30°, L=5m, g=9.8m/s2, m=10kg is v = √(2gL(1-cosθ)), where v is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, L is the length of the swing, and θ is the angle of the swing.

2. How do I determine the value of g in the formula?

The value of g in the formula represents the acceleration due to gravity and is a constant value of 9.8m/s2 on Earth. This value can be found in most physics textbooks or online resources.

3. Can this formula be used for any angle or length of the swing?

Yes, this formula can be used for any angle and length of the swing as long as the other variables (g and m) remain constant. However, it is important to note that the angle and length of the swing will affect the speed of the pumpkin.

4. How does the mass of the pumpkin affect the speed of the swing?

The mass of the pumpkin, represented by the variable m, does not directly affect the speed of the swing. However, it does affect the force applied to the swing, which in turn can affect the speed. A heavier pumpkin will require more force to swing at the same speed as a lighter pumpkin.

5. Can this formula be used to calculate the speed of any object on a swing?

Yes, this formula can be used to calculate the speed of any object on a swing as long as the variables remain constant. However, it is important to note that this formula is specifically designed for a pumpkin swing and may not be applicable for other types of swings or objects.