Pulse Tuning - Senior Design Project Advice

In summary, pulse tuning can have a significant impact on engine performance at high RPM, but its effects at low RPM may vary depending on the design and back pressure considerations.
minger
Science Advisor
Hi, I am coming into my senior design project and I have a question. Originally, my group was going to design a new cylinder head design without using poppet valves. Being that we only have 15 weeks, we figure we don't have nearly enough time. Wanting to keep an automotive related project, I suggested pulse tuning. I noted that many car companies have a 2-stage and a couple even a 3 stage intake manifold to account for this. I wanted to make a continously variable manifold to account for this at all RPM.

Doing quick calculations, I figured at 1000 rpm, the pulse would need to travel something like 50m before the valve opened again. Obviously you can't design an intake system that large. At high rpm obviously that gets cut to a reasonable number. Anyways, I also figured that you could use "modes" of vibration. Say the pulse oscillates between the valve and the manifold 16 times. Now, I only need to design for a few meters.

I guess my question is how much of an effect can I measure at low RPM due to this? I think at high rpm, I should be able to get a noticable efficiency increase, but how much will these "oscillations" hinder gains?

If you need a quick overview of pulse tuning, I'd be more than happy to explain. Or google it yourself ;)

Anyways, thanks for the help

Engineering news on Phys.org
The effects of pulse tuning at low RPM can vary depending on the design of the engine and the characteristics of the pulse tuner. Generally, pulse tuning should have a more noticeable effect at higher RPMs due to the increased air flow rate, but it is possible to see some gains in power and efficiency at low RPMs. It is important to note that the effects of pulse tuning are dependent on the specific design of the manifold and the tuner, and careful attention must be paid to the design in order to maximize the benefits of the system. Additionally, it is important to consider the effects of back pressure, as this can affect the efficiency of the pulse tuner.

Hi there, congratulations on reaching your senior design project! It sounds like you have a very interesting and ambitious idea for your project. Pulse tuning is definitely a relevant and important aspect in automotive design, so I think it's a great choice.

In terms of your question about the effect of pulse tuning at low RPM, it's difficult to give a specific answer without knowing more about your specific design and calculations. However, in general, pulse tuning can have a significant impact on engine performance at all RPMs. At low RPM, it can help improve torque and provide better throttle response, while at high RPM, it can increase power output and improve fuel efficiency.

As for the "oscillations" you mentioned, it's important to carefully consider their effects on your design. While they may hinder gains to some extent, they can also provide opportunities for optimization and fine-tuning. I would suggest doing some more research and possibly consulting with a mentor or expert in the field to better understand how to account for these oscillations in your design.

Overall, I think your idea for a continuously variable manifold is very innovative and has the potential to make a significant impact in the automotive industry. I would encourage you to continue exploring this idea and see how you can further refine and optimize it for your project. Best of luck!

Related to Pulse Tuning - Senior Design Project Advice

1. What is pulse tuning and why is it important in senior design projects?

Pulse tuning is the process of optimizing the timing and amplitude of electrical signals, specifically pulses, in a circuit or system. It is important in senior design projects because it can greatly impact the performance and efficiency of the project.

2. How can pulse tuning be implemented in a senior design project?

Pulse tuning can be implemented through various methods, such as adjusting the component values in a circuit, using specialized electronic components, or using software and programming techniques. The specific method will depend on the project and its requirements.

3. What are some common challenges when it comes to pulse tuning in senior design projects?

Some common challenges with pulse tuning in senior design projects include limited resources or access to specialized equipment, difficulty in accurately measuring and analyzing pulse signals, and finding the optimal balance between performance and cost.

4. How can I ensure the success of pulse tuning in my senior design project?

To ensure the success of pulse tuning in your senior design project, it is important to thoroughly research and understand the principles and techniques involved. Utilize simulation tools and conduct thorough testing to fine-tune the pulses. Collaboration with experienced mentors or experts in the field can also be helpful.

5. Are there any key considerations to keep in mind when incorporating pulse tuning in a senior design project?

Yes, there are several key considerations to keep in mind when incorporating pulse tuning in a senior design project. These include the project's overall objectives, the limitations and constraints of the project, the availability of resources and equipment, and the potential impact on the project's performance, cost, and reliability.