Pulse Generator & Repitition Rate

In summary: Yes, I wanted to know if the amplitude changed with the repetition rate, and if so, what caused that. Thanks!
imagemania
Ok, I used one of these in an experiment the other day but i did not fully understand it. I was setting up an RC circuit, and a pulse generator was connected to the circuit setting a repetition rate of 1ms. But
a) What was the role of the pulse generator
b) Is the repetition rate like inverse frequency

[This isn't homework]

I'm slightly confused what the repetition rate does, by increasing it, do only the higher frequencies pass through a high pass filter RC circuit. Or is it nothing to do with the frequency or something to do with the amplitude?

Hope you can correct me :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Posting a schematic of your experiment will help...

Intuiting "RC circuit" and "high pass filter" to be a capacitor feeding a resistor to ground, rather than the other way around, I think your last question is correct...only the higher frequencies pass. The purpose of the generator is to provide a signal to your circuit so you can see what it does.

And no, Repetition rate _is_ frequency. If something repeats 1000 times a second it's frequency is 1000Hz. When you say you set a "repetition rate of 1ms" you mean you set the distance between pulses to 1ms so it repeats 1000 times a second. You can think of the 1ms as a wavelength, which is the inverse of frequency (once you know the speed of the wave).

Ok, thouh I am still confused about the amplitude. The amplitude definatly changed as the repition rate was changed from 1ms to 1μs. The amplitude being the voltage amplitude on the oscilloscope screen. Is this change to do with the low-pass / high-pass filter (depending on the position of the capacitor & resistor of course)?

Surely if the amplitude changed then the time constant has changed, seeming the capacitance and resistor hadn't been changed at the time?

Again presuming that my intuition of the circuit in your experiment is correct, it is a High Pass Filter... What a High Pass Filter does is Pass High frequencies... So the higher the driver frequency at the input the more signal you will see at the output.

It's a little confusing when you say the repetition rate changes from 1ms to 1us. Those values are (again, presumably) times between pulses, not rates. If your think of those values as frequencies (rates) they would be 1KHz to 1MHz.

The time constant of your circuit remains the same but the time between pulses has decreased by a factor of 1000. You can think of the time constant as how long it takes the circuit to "respond". In the high-pass case, anything that is faster than that response time gets passed-through.

Oh my bad, they're called repitition periods, which agrees with your wording :)

Here's a one of the set up we did (we did this and switched the R and C components):
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e0/1st_Order_Lowpass_Filter_RC.svg

The reasoning I am struggling with is with respect to this:
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/6101/capturekjv.png

Im not bothered about the sketches, i just want to understand why the amplitude changes on the oscilloscope.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not wanting to double post but, can anyone explain this phenomena with respect to the amplitude?

OK, what you posted is a LOW-PASS filter, so I'm not sure if we have been talking about the opposite of that or not...

Anyway, think of a capacitor as having a frequency dependent resistance, which decreases with frequency. If you make your indicated circuit out of two regular resistors as a resistor divider, you can calculate the ratio and figure out what the output voltage will be. It won't (within limits) care what the frequency of the driving signal is. Then replace one resistor with a capacitor and calculate the cap's "reactance" (AC for resistance) at the driving frequency: 1/ (2pi * freq * capacitance), and plug that into your ratio. You should get about what you see.

If you are driving the thing with a pulse you should see the edges of the pulse "acting-funny", either sloping or over-shooting depending on the High/Low pass configuration. That's because pulses contain higher harmonics which are also affected by the filter. To see a clearer relationship between frequency and amplitude you should use a sine wave.

Was that what you were asking?

Related to Pulse Generator & Repitition Rate

1. What is a pulse generator?

A pulse generator is an electronic device that produces electrical pulses at a specific frequency and amplitude. It is commonly used in scientific research, medical equipment, and industrial applications.

2. How does a pulse generator work?

A pulse generator works by converting a direct current (DC) input signal into a series of electrical pulses. These pulses are then amplified and shaped according to the desired waveform and repetition rate.

3. What is the importance of repetition rate in a pulse generator?

The repetition rate, also known as the pulse repetition frequency (PRF), determines how often the pulse generator produces pulses. This is a critical factor in many applications, such as radar systems and medical equipment, as it affects the speed and accuracy of data collection.

4. How is the repetition rate controlled in a pulse generator?

The repetition rate can be controlled by adjusting the frequency of the input signal or using an external trigger. Many pulse generators also have a built-in control panel or software interface for precise control over the repetition rate.

5. What are some common applications of a pulse generator?

Pulse generators have numerous applications, including testing and calibrating electronic devices, controlling the timing of electronic circuits, generating signals for medical imaging and therapy, and producing electromagnetic pulses for scientific research. They are also used in telecommunications, military and defense, and aerospace industries.