Pully System on an Inclined Plane: Understanding Direction of Acceleration

• Thread starter Yellowkies_3275
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane Pully
In summary, the problem statement is trying to find the equation for m2g when m1 and m3 are both moving up a slope. The equation is found by using virtual work and cancelling the dy's.
Yellowkies_3275

Homework Statement

Snapchat-1005570663.jpg
Snapchat-1987767540.jpg
[/B]
So I am pretty okay with most of this problem. And I asked my teacher for clarification but he just sort of said "because it's positive" and I get that's it's positive. Apparently "everyone's" struggling with that, and therefore we are going over this problem to cement the fact that we consider the direction of acceleration to be positive...but that doesn't help me. I get, clearly, how why whatever that we consider m2g positive in this problem. What I don't get is why we can put m2g, a y direction force, into an other wise x direction equation...the fact that it's positive...I don't see how that negates or affects the fact that it's a y direction force in this problem

Homework Equations

See first picture
ΣF=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

As I was writing this I had a thought:

Do we use m2g because m2g is equivalent to Ft2...and Ft2 is equal to Ft1+Ft3...and ft1 and ft3 are x direction forces?? Is that why?

Attachments

• Snapchat-1005570663.jpg
    Snapchat-1005570663.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 469
  • Snapchat-1987767540.jpg
    Snapchat-1987767540.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
Please start your explanation at the beginning.
Yellowkies_3275 said:
I get that's it's positive
. What is positive?
The photo that you posted does not show a lot of data.
There is no problem statement. What are you trying to calculate?
Please follow the guidelines when you post a problem.

Likes CWatters
I suspect the diagram is wrong. It appears to show that a rope goes straight across between two pulleys, with a second rope tied at the middle. The instantaneous acceleration of m2 would be g, since it would not immediately cause any significant acceleration of the other two masses.

To arrive at the equation shown, there would need to be two more pulleys in the middle. One rope would go over one of these to connect m1 to m2, and another rope over the other to connect m3 to m2.
If that is correct, you can arrive at the equation using virtual work. If m2 descends a small distance dy then each of the other masses moves up slope by dy. Write out the energy balance for that and cancel the dy's.

Is the equation in the image part of the solution provided by your teacher or your attempt at the solution?

Related to Pully System on an Inclined Plane: Understanding Direction of Acceleration

What is a pulley system?

A pulley system is a simple machine that uses a wheel with a groove and a rope or cable to change the direction or magnitude of a force. It is commonly used to lift or move heavy objects.

How does a pulley system work?

A pulley system works by distributing the force of a load over multiple ropes and pulleys. The more ropes and pulleys involved, the easier it is to lift a heavy load. By changing the direction of the force, a pulley system can also make it easier to move an object vertically or horizontally.

What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a flat surface that is tilted at an angle. It is another type of simple machine that allows for the movement of objects up and down an incline with less force than it would take to lift the object straight up.

How does an inclined plane work?

An inclined plane works by increasing the distance over which the force of gravity acts on an object, making it easier to move the object. By using a longer ramp, the force required to move an object up the incline is spread out over a larger distance, reducing the amount of force needed.

What are some real-life examples of pulley systems and inclined planes?

Some real-life examples of pulley systems include elevators, cranes, and flagpoles. Inclined planes can be seen in wheelchair ramps, escalators, and slides. They can also be found in everyday objects such as screws, ramps for loading heavy objects, and even the shape of a wedge.