Finding the acceleration of a pulley system including an inclined plane

In summary: Fnet = (m)(a)This question showed up on my grade 12 physics test.The problem I have with this question is that I did not know the direction that the system would accelerate in. So I just solved the problem assuming that the mass on the inclined plane would accelerate the system. But it turns out that the magnitude of the acceleration changes depending on which direction the system is supposed to accelerate.My question is how do you tell which direction the system is supposed to accelerate before solving the problem. because it didn't accelerate towards the inclined plane, so I got the wrong magnitude.
Majd64
Homework Statement
A diagram of a pully with a rope, on one end of a rope hangs a mass (m) and on the other is another mass (twice the mass of the first - 2m) that sits on an inclined plane tilted 17 degrees to the horizontal. The mass on the inclined plane has a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.21. They want you to calculate the acceleration of the system.
Relevant Equations
Fnet = (m)(a)
This question showed up on my grade 12 physics test.

The problem I have with this question is that I did not know the direction that the system would accelerate in, so I just solved as though the mass on the inclined plane would accelerate the system. I expected that if it would accelerate the other way the acceleration would be negative. But it turns that the magnitude of the acceleration changes depending on which you assume the system will accelerate because the force of friction will be in a different direction depending on the acceleration.

My question is how do you tell which way the system will accelerate before solving the problem, because it did not accelerate towards the inclined plane, so I got the wrong magnitude.

Physics news on Phys.org
Majd64 said:
Homework Statement: A diagram of a pully with a rope, on one end of a rope hangs a mass (m) and on the other is another mass (twice the mass of the first - 2m) that sits on an inclined plane tilted 17 degrees to the horizontal. The mass on the inclined plane has a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.21. They want you to calculate the acceleration of the system.
Homework Equations: Fnet = (m)(a)

This question showed up on my grade 12 physics test.

The problem I have with this question is that I did not know the direction that the system would accelerate in, so I just solved as though the mass on the inclined plane would accelerate the system. I expected that if it would accelerate the other way the acceleration would be negative. But it turns that the magnitude of the acceleration changes depending on which you assume the system will accelerate because the force of friction will be in a different direction depending on the acceleration.

My question is how do you tell which way the system will accelerate before solving the problem, because it did not accelerate towards the inclined plane, so I got the wrong magnitude.
Write the equations entirely symbolically. These will be valid regardless because you can decide the sign of the frictional force later.
Try setting that to zero. Which sign results for the acceleration?

To say what @haruspex suggested somewhat differently: Find the direction of the acceleration pretending that there is no friction. If the block accelerates in a given direction under this assumption, it will not accelerate in the opposite direction when friction is "turned on". Therefore the force of friction will be in the opposite direction to the friction-free acceleration.

1. What is a pulley system?

A pulley system is a mechanical device that consists of a wheel with a grooved rim and a rope or belt that runs along the groove. It is used to lift or move objects by changing the direction of the force applied.

2. How does an inclined plane affect the acceleration of a pulley system?

An inclined plane is a flat surface that is angled, which reduces the amount of force needed to move an object up the plane. This means that the acceleration of a pulley system on an inclined plane will be less than that on a flat surface, as less force is needed to overcome gravity.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a pulley system on an inclined plane?

The acceleration of a pulley system on an inclined plane is affected by the mass of the object being moved, the angle of the inclined plane, and the friction present in the system.

4. How do you calculate the acceleration of a pulley system on an inclined plane?

The acceleration of a pulley system on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula a = gsinθ / (1 + (m1/m2)), where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of the inclined plane, m1 is the mass on the inclined plane, and m2 is the mass being lifted by the pulley system.

5. Can the acceleration of a pulley system on an inclined plane be greater than that on a flat surface?

No, the acceleration of a pulley system on an inclined plane will always be less than that on a flat surface, as the inclined plane reduces the amount of force needed to move an object. However, the acceleration can be increased by reducing the friction in the system or by increasing the angle of the inclined plane.