Finding max acceleration with force at angle incl friction

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 6kg block being pulled along a horizontal surface by a force at an angle, and the goal is to find the optimal angle to achieve maximum acceleration. Equations and attempted solutions are provided, with a discussion about the logic and potential errors. Eventually, it is determined that taking the derivative and setting it to 0 is the correct approach, and the issue with the previous solution is corrected.
YearnToLearn

Homework Statement

Hey. I was doing some exam practice questions, but I hit a snag with this one and can't quite work out how to proceed.

A 6kg block at rest is pulled along a horizontal surface by force F→ at angle θ. Given that the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.15, find the optimal angle at which to apply the force to achieve maximum acceleration.

Homework Equations

F = ma
fk = μkN
F→2 = F2sin2θ + F2cos2θ

The Attempt at a Solution

N = mg - Fsinθ
μk = 0.15/58.86
fk = (2.55×10-3)(mg-Fsinθ)
Fnetx = Fcosθ - fk
ax = (Fcosθ - fk)/m

From here I guess I need to form a differential equation and solve for maximum but this leads to θ being a ridiculous angle. Any advice? (P.S, sorry if this is in the wrong section, still trying to gauge the levels of physics being done in each)

Physics news on Phys.org
You just have to take the derivative of ##a_x## with respect to ##\theta## and set it to 0 and solve the equation involving ##\theta##, that is to solve ##\frac{da_x}{d\theta}=0##.

Still getting a weird value for θ while solving for the maximum. Will work through and check my values, but can we confirm that the logic is sound?

Do you get ##tan(\theta)=\mu_k## at the end? Why is this weird, since the friction coeeficient is small we expect theta to be small also (if friction coefficient was zero it would be theta=0 as can be understood easily).

There is something i don't understand why you divide 0.15 / 58.86 for ##\mu_k##?

My bad. Playing catch up at the moment and only started looking at this concept today. Another look at the derivative and I can see the manipulation. Thanks for the help

Related to Finding max acceleration with force at angle incl friction

1. What is the formula for finding maximum acceleration with force at an angle?

The formula for finding maximum acceleration with force at an angle is a = (F*cosθ - μFsinθ)/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the applied force, θ is the angle of the force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and m is the mass of the object.

2. How does friction affect the maximum acceleration of an object?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. It reduces the maximum acceleration of an object by counteracting the applied force and decreasing the net force acting on the object.

3. Can the maximum acceleration of an object ever be greater than the applied force?

No, the maximum acceleration of an object can never be greater than the applied force. This is because the applied force is the maximum force that can be exerted on an object, and any additional forces (such as friction) will decrease the acceleration of the object.

4. How does the angle of the applied force affect the maximum acceleration?

The angle of the applied force affects the maximum acceleration by changing the direction of the force. The component of the force in the direction of motion (cosθ) will contribute to acceleration, while the component perpendicular to the direction of motion (sinθ) will contribute to friction and decrease acceleration.

5. What is the role of mass in determining the maximum acceleration of an object?

The mass of an object plays a role in determining the maximum acceleration because it affects the object's inertia. Objects with larger masses have a greater resistance to changes in motion and require a larger force to accelerate at the same rate as objects with smaller masses.