Pulling a submerged car wreck out of the water

In summary: But why? It the wreck tries to pull the car out of the water, I'm assuming there still is an upthrust while it is in the process of being pulled out. Yet, there must be some sort of change in extension, because pulling it out of the water still requires a force, eventhough there might be an upthrust..I am not sure what you are talking about. What car are you referring to?
Doyouevenlift
A submerged wreck, mass 104 kg and mean density 8 x 103 kg m-3, is lifted out of the
water by a crane with a steel cable 10 m long, cross-sectional area 5 cm2 and Young’s
modulus 5 x 1010 N m-2. Determine the change in the extension of the cable as the wreck
is lifted clear of the water. /b]

This is from the British physics olympiad, and they also have solutions up on their site. Their method of solving this problem was straightforward, just using Young´s modulus = stress/strain, where stress = force/area normal to the force, and strain = extension/original length. This all seems logical, but what confused me is that they calculated the upthrust, and that was their force. Isn't this incorrect? I would guess that you'd have to use the weight - upthrust as your force, but apparently I'm wrong. Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
The weight stays constant. What changes is that the upthrust disappears as the wreck is pulled out of water. Hooke's law is linear.

voko said:
The weight stays constant. What changes is that the upthrust disappears as the wreck is pulled out of water. Hooke's law is linear.

So if I get this right: The upthrust equals the gravitational pull. Once it is cleared from the water, the upthrust is removed so the same force needs to be created by the machine?

Perhaps we are not using "upthrust" to denote the same thing. I understand it is the buoyant force. So it cannot be equal to the gravitational pull (unless the wreck is floating, which it is not).

voko said:
Perhaps we are not using "upthrust" to denote the same thing. I understand it is the buoyant force. So it cannot be equal to the gravitational pull (unless the wreck is floating, which it is not).

Sounds logical, but what is then the justification of using the upthrust as the force required to pull the wreck out of the water? Intuitively, I'd say that you just subtract the upthrust from the car's weight (using w=mg), to get the force required. I always thought that things weigh less under water because you have to subtract the upthrust by the water from the weight.

All you say is correct. But the problem only wants the change in extension when the wreck is pulled out. That change is due to the vanishing of the upthrust.

voko said:
All you say is correct. But the problem only wants the change in extension when the wreck is pulled out. That change is due to the vanishing of the upthrust.

But why? It the wreck tries to pull the car out of the water, I'm assuming there still is an upthrust while it is in the process of being pulled out. Yet, there must be some sort of change in extension, because pulling it out of the water still requires a force, eventhough there might be an upthrust..

I am not sure what you are talking about. What car are you referring to?

When the wreck is in the water, there are three forces: weight + upthrust + tension in the cable. When it is out, there are two: weight + tension in the cable. Assuming it is pulled at a constant speed, in both cases the net force is zero, so the change in the tension is minus the upthrust. That change in the tension corresponds to the change in the extension of the cable via Hooke's law.

Likes 1 person

Related to Pulling a submerged car wreck out of the water

What is the process for pulling a submerged car wreck out of the water?

The process for pulling a submerged car wreck out of the water involves several steps. The first step is to secure the wreck with ropes or cables attached to a crane or other heavy equipment. The wreck is then carefully lifted out of the water, taking into consideration the weight and balance of the wreck to prevent further damage. Once the wreck is out of the water, it is usually placed on a flatbed truck for transportation.

What equipment is needed to pull a submerged car wreck out of the water?

The equipment needed to pull a submerged car wreck out of the water depends on the size and weight of the wreck, as well as the depth of the water. Common equipment used includes cranes, winches, ropes or cables, and heavy-duty trucks. In some cases, specialized equipment such as airbags or inflatable lift bags may be used to help lift the wreck out of the water.

How long does it take to pull a submerged car wreck out of the water?

The time it takes to pull a submerged car wreck out of the water can vary depending on the complexity of the situation. In some cases, it may only take a few hours, while in others it could take several days. Factors that can affect the timeline include the depth and location of the wreck, the condition of the car, and any obstacles that may need to be overcome.

What are the potential risks involved in pulling a submerged car wreck out of the water?

There are several potential risks involved in pulling a submerged car wreck out of the water. These can include damage to the wreck or surrounding structures, injuries to workers, and environmental hazards such as oil or fuel leaks. It is important for trained professionals to carefully assess and manage these risks to ensure a safe and successful retrieval.

What should be done with the car after it has been pulled out of the water?

After a submerged car wreck has been pulled out of the water, it should be properly disposed of or salvaged. If the car is salvageable, it may be repaired and put back on the road. However, if the car is deemed too damaged or unsafe, it may need to be scrapped. In either case, proper disposal of any hazardous materials, such as oil or fuel, is important to protect the environment.