Pulleys question - Need a rig to lift with a MA=107?

The conversation discusses an installation/art project that requires a rig to balance a weight of 3200lbs using a weight of 30lbs with a mechanical advantage of 107 if using pulleys. The rig would suspend both weights in the air, allowing someone to pull on the small weight and make the heavy weight move upwards. The question is whether there is a way to make the heavy weight move more without increasing the required force. The answer is no.
gruff
Hi

I have an installation/art project that requires a rig designed to balance a weight of 3200lbs using a weight of 30lbs. I think that means a mechanical advantage of 107 if using pulleys? Both weights would be suspended in the air by the rig so that someone pulling on the small weight would make the heavy weight move upwards perceptibly.

As I understand it (which is not very well!) if you pulled on the 30lb weight and moved it down 107cm the 3200lb weight would move up only 1cm. Is that right?

My question then: is there a way to make the heavy weight move more for a given movement of the lighter weight without increasing the force required?

Engineering news on Phys.org
gruff said:
As I understand it (which is not very well!) if you pulled on the 30lb weight and moved it down 107cm the 3200lb weight would move up only 1cm. Is that right?

Yes.

gruff said:
My question then: is there a way to make the heavy weight move more for a given movement of the lighter weight without increasing the force required?

No.

CS

Related to Pulleys question - Need a rig to lift with a MA=107?

What is a pulley and how does it work?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or belt that runs along the groove. It works by changing the direction of the force applied to it, making it easier to lift heavy objects.

What is the mechanical advantage (MA) of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage (MA) of a pulley system is the ratio of the output force to the input force. In other words, it measures how much the pulley system amplifies the force applied to it. In this case, the MA is 107.

What is the best rig to use for lifting with a MA=107?

The best rig to use for lifting with a MA=107 would be a compound pulley system. This type of pulley system consists of multiple pulleys that work together to increase the MA, making it easier to lift heavy objects.

Can a single pulley achieve a MA=107?

No, a single pulley can only achieve a MA of 1. In order to achieve a MA of 107, a compound pulley system is necessary.

What are the advantages of using a pulley system with a high MA?

The main advantage of using a pulley system with a high MA is that it makes lifting heavy objects much easier. This can reduce the amount of effort and force needed to lift the object, making it safer and more efficient. Additionally, a high MA pulley system can also be used to lift objects to greater heights than would be possible with a lower MA system.