How Do Pulley Systems Affect the Force Needed to Lift Weights?

In summary: These two segments combined must exert 10 kg of force to lift the mass, but each segment only needs to pull with 5 kg of force to achieve this. Therefore, the overall force required is less in B compared to A, where each segment needs to pull with 5 kg of force to lift the mass. This is due to the distribution of forces within the pulley system. In summary, the number of rope sections supporting an item in a pulley system can decrease the force necessary to move it due to the distribution of tension within the ropes.
ciubba
I am having trouble understanding the distribution of forces present within a pulley system; namely, how the number of sections of rope that supports an item manages to decrease the force necessary to move it.

For example, look at this picture

AA0809.gif

I am aware that system A only requires 5 kg force to elevate while system B requires a 10 kg force; that being said, I do not understand why that is true.

AA0808.gif

In this picture, it would appear that both weights are supported by the same number of rope-sections, yet B requires less force to elevate.

Physics news on Phys.org
ciubba said:
I am having trouble understanding the distribution of forces present within a pulley system; namely, how the number of sections of rope that supports an item manages to decrease the force necessary to move it.

For example, look at this picture

AA0809.gif

I am aware that system A only requires 5 kg force to elevate while system B requires a 10 kg force; that being said, I do not understand why that is true.
The amount of force that the ropes exert on the mass depends on the tension in the rope and how many rope segments are pulling up on the mass. In B there is only one segment pulling up on the mass, thus the tension in the rope must equal the weight. In A there are two segments pulling up on the mass, so the amount of tension required is less.

AA0808.gif

In this picture, it would appear that both weights are supported by the same number of rope-sections, yet B requires less force to elevate.
If you draw an imaginary box around the mass (including the attached pulley in B), you'll see that B has two segments pulling up on the mass.

Related to How Do Pulley Systems Affect the Force Needed to Lift Weights?

What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around the outside and a rope or cable that runs along the groove. It is used to lift or move objects by changing the direction of the force needed to lift the object.

How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by distributing the weight of an object over multiple ropes or cables, reducing the amount of force needed to lift the object. As the rope or cable is pulled, the wheel of the pulley rotates, lifting the object.

What are the different types of pulleys?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. Fixed pulleys have a stationary axle and are used to change the direction of the force needed to lift an object. Movable pulleys have a movable axle and are used to reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object. Compound pulleys are combinations of fixed and movable pulleys and are used to both change the direction and reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object.

What is the mechanical advantage of a pulley?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley is the ratio of the output force to the input force. In other words, it is the amount by which the force needed to lift an object is reduced by using a pulley. The mechanical advantage of a pulley is equal to the number of ropes or cables supporting the object.

What are some real-life applications of pulleys?

Pulleys are used in many different industries and applications, such as construction, transportation, and manufacturing. They are commonly used in cranes, elevators, and conveyor belts. In everyday life, pulleys can be found in window blinds, flagpoles, and exercise machines.