Pulleys and blocks - find acceleration

In summary, the pulley on the end of the spring balance with 16kg on one end and 4kg on the other has a net force of 5kg. The masses on the other end of the pulleys are 1kg, 7/3kg and 10kg. The tension in the strings tied to the masses is 10/3kg, 40/2kg and 160/1kg. The tension in the strings tied to the pulley with 16kg on one end and 4kg on the other is 5kg.
WiFO215
1. A pulley A on the end of a spring balance. On 1 end is a 16kg mass. On the other is pulley B. On one end of pulley B is a mass of 4kg. On the other end is pulley C. On one end of pulley C is a 1kg mass. On the other end is a 7/3kg mass. All pulleys are massless and frictionless. Find accn. of each block

2. Homework Equations
1.Too many pulleys= big confusion! (A very relevant equation here!) Just kidding.

Fnet = ma

3. I got the constraint equation as 4a(16) + 2a(4) + a(1) + a(7/3) = 0(no.s in bracket indicate accn. of block of that mass.

Now what?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the pulley C. Find the net force on it and the accns of the blocks hanging from it by the usual method. I do hope you know that. Then work your way up, one by one.

In your eqns, you have assumed a single accn 'a'? Why?

Shooting star said:
Start with the pulley C. Find the net force on it and the accns of the blocks hanging from it by the usual method. I do hope you know that. Then work your way up, one by one.

In your eqns, you have assumed a single accn 'a'? Why?

Single accn. a? Whats that supposed to mean? I've assigned each of them a separate accn but just named them a(16) for convenience. For example I know a(16) refers to the accn of the block of 16kg.

Ok. Now I've modified my accn.s. Here goes what I've done. I know its wrong.

Starting from the inside,
T3-10=a1-a4+a16
70/3-T3=7/3(-a1-a4-a16)

==> 20=5a16-5a4-2a1

Next,
40-T2=4(a16-a4)
T2-100/3=10/3(a16+a4)

==> 10=11a16-a4

And finally,
160-T1=16*a16
T1-220/3=22/3*a16

==> a16=26/7 m/s/s which is wrong!

Attachments

• Woah!.doc
    32 KB · Views: 234
anirudh215 said:
Single accn. a? Whats that supposed to mean? I've assigned each of them a separate accn but just named them a(16) for convenience. For example I know a(16) refers to the accn of the block of 16kg.

It looked like a*16, that's why I asked the Q. It's all right.

check my answer tho. Why am I getting the wrong one?

T3-10=a1-a4+a16
70/3-T3=7/3(-a1-a4-a16)

How did you wright the above equations? Why the signs of a1 and a16 are changed in the second equation?
If T1, T2 and T3 are the tensions in the strings tied to the masses 1kg, 4 kg and 16 kg, then a(1) = (T1 - 10)/1 = (70/3 - T1)/7/3. Find T1
a(4) = (40 - T2)/4 = (T2 - 2T1)/(10/3). Find T2
and a(16) = (160 - T3)/16 = (T3 - 2T2)/22/3. Find T3.

Thank you very much. I'm done.

Related to Pulleys and blocks - find acceleration

1. How do pulleys and blocks affect acceleration?

Pulleys and blocks can either increase or decrease the acceleration of an object. If the pulleys and blocks are arranged in a way that the direction of motion is changed, the acceleration will decrease. However, if the pulleys and blocks are arranged in a way that the force is multiplied, the acceleration will increase.

2. How do you calculate the acceleration of a pulley and block system?

To calculate the acceleration of a pulley and block system, you will need to know the mass of the object, the force applied, and the number of pulleys and blocks in the system. You can then use Newton's second law of motion (F=ma) to calculate the acceleration.

3. How does the number of pulleys and blocks affect the acceleration?

The number of pulleys and blocks in a system can affect the acceleration by either increasing or decreasing it. As the number of pulleys and blocks increases, the force applied to the object also increases, leading to a higher acceleration. However, if the pulleys and blocks are arranged in a way that changes the direction of motion, the acceleration will decrease.

4. Can friction affect the acceleration of a pulley and block system?

Yes, friction can affect the acceleration of a pulley and block system. Friction is a force that works against the motion of an object, so it can decrease the acceleration of the system. To calculate the effect of friction, you will need to know the coefficient of friction and the normal force acting on the object.

5. Are there any real-life applications of pulleys and blocks for finding acceleration?

Yes, pulleys and blocks are commonly used in many real-life scenarios to find acceleration. For example, they are used in elevators, cranes, and construction equipment to lift heavy objects. They are also used in weightlifting machines to calculate the acceleration of the weights. Understanding the principles of pulleys and blocks can also help in the design and construction of various mechanical systems.