Newton's laws of motion -- Constaint motion

In summary: Wow!...I calculated it myself... Hats off to ur organization sir...Really obliged to get to know about ur organization ..Will surely recommend it to others
Vv anand

Homework Statement

In the following diagram a massless pulley is pulled by a constant force of magnitude P. There is no friction between the block and the floor. The acceleration produced in the block if mass m is? PIC ATTACHED

Homework Equations

Took a1/2=a2 where a1 is accn of block and a2 is accn of pulley since a3 that is accn of the string attached to wall is 0

The Attempt at a Solution

tried solving by taking acceleration but found that pulley is massless so I'm pretty confused atm and pls help me and clear my doubt

Attachments

• IMG_20170627_170356.jpg
    IMG_20170627_170356.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,063
Physics news on Phys.org
Answer is P/2M but i end up getting P/M

If P is the force pulling the pulley, what is the tension in the wire?

That is not given sir...and P is the force pulling pulley
Chestermiller said:

Vv anand said:
That is not given sir...and P is the force pulling pulley
Have you drawn a free body diagram of the pulley, or do you feel that you have advanced beyond the point where you need to use free body diagrams? From a free body diagram of the pulley, what are the three forces acting on the (massless) pulley?

Chestermiller said:
Yes sir P is the force on the pulley,
Tension is not given..I calculated it as MG as There does not exist any other force that exists on M (surface is frictionless)

Vv anand said:
Tension is not given..I calculated it as MG as There does not exist any other force that exists on M (surface is frictionless)
Chestermiller said:
Have you drawn a free body diagram of the pulley, or do you feel that you have advanced beyond the point where you need to use free body diagrams? From a free body diagram of the pulley, what are the three forces acting on the (massless) pulley?
I hv drawn it..just had the doubt that Is P=2T?

Vv anand said:
I hv drawn it..just had the doubt that Is P=2T?
Let's see your diagram.

Vv anand said:
You don't think that the wire tension is acting on the mass?

Chestermiller said:
Let's see your diagram.
Of course sir

Attachments

• IMG_20170628_183906.jpg
    IMG_20170628_183906.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 782
Chestermiller said:
You don't think that the wire tension is acting on the mass?
Yes sir i just uploaded the fbd

Is it correct...By doing this i get the answer

Likes Chestermiller
So, as you have found from your fbd, P=2T. So, ma=T=P/2

Chestermiller said:
So, as you have found from your fbd, P=2T. So, ma=T=P/2
Wow!...I calculated it myself... Hats off to ur organization sir...Really obliged to get to know about ur organization ..Will surely recommend it to others

Related to Newton's laws of motion -- Constaint motion

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are considered to be the foundation of classical mechanics.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What is the second law of motion?

The second law of motion, also known as the law of acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.

4. What is the third law of motion?

The third law of motion, also known as the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back.

5. How do Newton's laws of motion apply to constraint motion?

Constraint motion refers to the motion of an object that is restricted or limited in some way. Newton's laws of motion still apply in this scenario, but there may be additional forces or factors that need to be taken into account, such as friction or tension in a rope or string.