Pulley question(Newtons third law)

In summary, the problem involves a pulley with a 60kg man hanging on one side and a 100kg weight on the other side. The goal is to find the tension on the rope. From the equations T-m1g=m1a and T-m2g=m2a, we can see that the acceleration, a, is 0 since the man is hanging stationary. Therefore, the tension on the rope is equal to the weight of the man plus the weight of the weight, which is 160kg.
Jennifer001

Homework Statement

there is a pulley and on one side there's a man hanging on it he weights 60kg on the other side resting on the ground is a 100kg weight. what is the tension on the rope

Homework Equations

T-m1g=m1a
T-m2g=m2a
F=2T-(m1+m2)g

The Attempt at a Solution

T-m1g=m1a T-m2g=m2a
T=m1a+m1g T=m2a+m2g
m1a+m1g=m2a+m2g

then i pulled in the numbers and got
g=a which = 9.8 (gravity)

and now I am stuck.. i think i might have done somethign wrong can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Jennifer001 said:
there is a pulley and on one side there's a man hanging on it he weights 60kg on the other side resting on the ground is a 100kg weight. what is the tension on the rope

T-m1g=m1a T-m2g=m2a
T=m1a+m1g T=m2a+m2g
m1a+m1g=m2a+m2g

then i pulled in the numbers and got
g=a which = 9.8 (gravity)

and now I am stuck.. i think i might have done somethign wrong can someone help?

Hi Jennifer001! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: the man is hanging … stationary … so a = 0. :wink:

Try again! :smile:

Your equations are correct, but there are a few steps missing in your solution. To find the tension on the rope, we need to use Newton's third law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this case, the man hanging on the pulley is pulling on the rope with a force equal to his weight (60kg x 9.8m/s^2 = 588N). This creates an equal and opposite force on the other side of the pulley, which is the tension on the rope. So, in this case, the tension on the rope would be 588N.

Another way to think about it is to consider the system as a whole. The total mass of the system is 160kg (60kg + 100kg), so according to Newton's second law (F=ma), the total force acting on the system is 160kg x 9.8m/s^2 = 1568N. This force is distributed equally between the two sides of the pulley, so each side experiences a force of 784N. Since the man is pulling down with a force of 588N, the remaining 196N must be the tension on the rope.

I hope this helps clarify your solution. Remember to always consider all forces acting on the system and to use Newton's third law when necessary.

Related to Pulley question(Newtons third law)

What is Newton's third law?

Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

How does a pulley demonstrate Newton's third law?

A pulley is a simple machine that uses a rope or cable wrapped around a wheel to lift or move objects. When a force is applied to one end of the rope, the pulley will pull in the opposite direction with an equal force. This is an example of Newton's third law in action.

Why is understanding Newton's third law important for using a pulley?

Understanding Newton's third law is important for using a pulley because it helps us understand how the pulley will behave and how much force will be required to lift or move an object. It also helps us avoid accidents and injuries by knowing how the pulley and its components will react.

Can a pulley violate Newton's third law?

No, a pulley cannot violate Newton's third law. This law is a fundamental principle of physics and applies to all objects and forces in the universe. A pulley may seem to violate this law if it appears to move in only one direction, but this is due to the unequal distribution of forces acting on the pulley.

How can we use Newton's third law to our advantage when using a pulley?

We can use Newton's third law to our advantage when using a pulley by understanding that the force required to lift or move an object with a pulley is equal to the weight of the object. This means that by using multiple pulleys or changing the direction of the rope, we can distribute the weight and make it easier to lift or move heavy objects.