3 pulleys - 2 masses on incline plane

In summary: The total length of the string is constant;The two lengths parallel to the slope are equal in length.In summary, The weight of the block is being pulled down by the rope and the two sections of the rope parallel to the slope shorten as the block descends.
Saints-94

Homework Statement

http://tinypic.com/r/qs9q4o/9 http://tinypic.com/r/qs9q4o/9
Verify that the log will move up the ramp under the given conditions

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

m1 = 220

m2 = 130

mu = 0.4

theta = 25

g = 9.81

N = (m1*g)*cos(theta)1) m2g – T = m2a Forces acting on Block B

2) 2T – m1g*sin(theta) – mu*N = m1a Forces acting on log1) T = m2g – m2a

2) 2 (m2g – m2a) – (m1g*sin(theta)) – mu*N = m1a2m2g – 2m2a – (m1g*sin25) – (0.4 * N ) = m1a

(220*130*9.81) – (220*9.81*sin25) – (0.4*1956) = m1a + 2m2a

(2550.6) – (912.1) – (782.4) = a(m1+2m2)

856.1 / (m1+2m2) = a

856.1 / (220+260) = aa = 1.78m/s^2
Unsure about the forces acting on the double pulley. I am right to assume it is 2T? Does this give me the correct value of 'a' to assume the log is accelerating up the slope? [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Is that incorrect?

Saints-94 said:
Yes. Is that incorrect?
At the same time as you replied, I deleted my post because I noticed you later had 2a terms, so I thought I should check whether you had defined a as the acceleration of one and were using 2a for the acceleration of the other. But having checked, no, it seems you did use a for both.
The rope is constant length. As the weight descends a distance y, what happens to the three sections of rope?

haruspex said:
At the same time as you replied, I deleted my post because I noticed you later had 2a terms, so I thought I should check whether you had defined a as the acceleration of one and were using 2a for the acceleration of the other. But having checked, no, it seems you did use a for both.
The rope is constant length. As the weight descends a distance y, what happens to the three sections of rope?
The rope carrying Block B increases as the block lowers. The two lengths of rope carrying the log stay equal to each other and shorten. Is that what you were asking?

Saints-94 said:
The rope carrying Block B increases as the block lowers. The two lengths of rope carrying the log stay equal to each other and shorten. Is that what you were asking?
Yes, but a bit more detail... if block B descends a distance y, how much do the two lengths holding the log shorten by?
What does that tell you about accelerations?

If block B decends by 1m, then the log will move 2m due to the two pulleys?

Last edited:
Saints-94 said:
If block B decends by 1m, then the log will move 2m due to the two pulleys?
No. One step at a time, no wild guesses please.
You wrote, correctly, that the two ropes parallel to the slope remain the same length as each other. We also know the total length of the rope is constant. Write that as an equation relating the lengths of the sections.

Is the rope pulling the log two times the length of the rope supporting the block?

I got nearly the same the answer (rounding error) so that could be a good sign. I treated the force on the double pulley as 2x like you, I am pretty sure that's the way to do it, I could be wrong though. A little tip, I like to break down each force into each direction, form a sum of forces in each direction then form a triangle of the resultant force (being the hypotenuse), just the way my teacher taught me. It makes it nice and simple for figuring out which force is going where.

Saints-94 said:
Is the rope pulling the log two times the length of the rope supporting the block?
I said no wild guesses.
Let the total length of the rope be L.
If the vertical length is y, how long are the other two sections?

I believe the other two sections would both be y also?

Saints-94 said:
If we are saying that force from the block is doubled due to the set up of the double pulley then something has to compensate... the distance moved.

Saints-94 said:
I believe the other two sections would both be y also?
That would make the total length 3y, but, since the total length is constant, y would be constant, so the weight cannot move?
Please, please, please try writing equations to represent the clear facts:
The total length of the string is constant;
The two lengths parallel to the slope are equal in length.
I will not respond further until you show an attempt to do that.

Carson Birth said:
If we are saying that force from the block is doubled due to the set up of the double pulley then something has to compensate... the distance moved.
Yes i agree. Would this affect the acceleration? Would it make the acceleration 2*a at the log?

haruspex said:
That would make the total length 3y, but, since the total length is constant, y would be constant, so the weight cannot move?
Please, please, please try writing equations to represent the clear facts:
The total length of the string is constant;
The two lengths parallel to the slope are equal in length.
I will not respond further until you show an attempt to do that.
Previously you stated the total length of the rope was L and vertical was y. In my equations i have labelled the forces acting on the ropes as 2T at the log and T acting against the block. I don't understand what you're asking?

Saints-94 said:
Previously you stated the total length of the rope was L and vertical was y. In my equations i have labelled the forces acting on the ropes as 2T at the log and T acting against the block. I don't understand what you're asking?
It is not (directly) related to the forces. It is just a matter of the way the lengths of the sections relate to each other.
If each of the sections parallel to the slope is length x, and the vertical section is length y, what equation relates x, y and the total length L?

haruspex said:
It is not (directly) related to the forces. It is just a matter of the way the lengths of the sections relate to each other.
If each of the sections parallel to the slope is length x, and the vertical section is length y, what equation relates x, y and the total length L?
Is it as simple as 2x+y=L?

Saints-94 said:
Yes i agree. Would this affect the acceleration? Would it make the acceleration 2*a at the log?
Think about the equation of acceleration, distance/time squared, if the log is moving less distance in the same time then...

Carson Birth said:
Think about the equation of acceleration, distance/time squared, if the log is moving less distance in the same time then...
It is accelerating slower?

Saints-94 said:
Is it as simple as 2x+y=L?
Yes!
Now, what does that tell you about the accelerations? What do you do to a distance variable to turn it into an acceleration variable?

haruspex said:
Yes!
Now, what does that tell you about the accelerations? What do you do to a distance variable to turn it into an acceleration variable?
I'm not sure, I haven't come across this before.

Saints-94 said:
I'm not sure, I haven't come across this before.
Have you been taught any differential calculus? Like, velocity = rate of change of position?

haruspex said:
Have you been taught any differential calculus? Like, velocity = rate of change of position?
V^2 = U^2 + 2as?

Saints-94 said:
V^2 = U^2 + 2as?
No.
Does v =dx/dt ring any bells?

haruspex said:
No.
Does v =dx/dt ring any bells?
Yes. But I'm unsure how to apply it to find acceleration.

Saints-94 said:
Yes. But I'm unsure how to apply it to find acceleration.
Then let's try to reason it out without calculus.
You found that 2x+y=L. So if the weight descends 1m, how far does the log move, and in which direction?

haruspex said:
Then let's try to reason it out without calculus.
You found that 2x+y=L. So if the weight descends 1m, how far does the log move, and in which direction?
It will move up the slope. I'm unsure what distance, but would it be 2m?

Saints-94 said:
It will move up the slope. I'm unsure what distance, but would it be 2m?
Try it in the equation. We've increased y by 1. You are suggesting x will decrease by 2, yes? Does that still give a total of L?

haruspex said:
Try it in the equation. We've increased y by 1. You are suggesting x will decrease by 2, yes? Does that still give a total of L?
(y+1) + (2x-2) = L ?

Saints-94 said:
(y+1) + (2x-2) = L ?
No, you suggested the log would ascend 2m, which means each x would lose 2m. That would mean you start with L=y+2x, And end with a string length (y+1)+2(x-2)=y+2x-3=L-3. The string has mysteriously shrunk by 3m.
Try another way of changing x when y increases by 1m.

haruspex said:
No, you suggested the log would ascend 2m, which means each x would lose 2m. That would mean you start with L=y+2x, And end with a string length (y+1)+2(x-2)=y+2x-3=L-3. The string has mysteriously shrunk by 3m.
Try another way of changing x when y increases by 1m.
(y+1) + 2 (x-0.5) = y + 2x = L ?

Saints-94 said:
(y+1) + 2 (x-0.5) = y + 2x = L ?
Right. The log moves up half the distance that the weight moves down.
Based on that, if the weight descends at speed v, how fast will the log slide up the slope?

0.5v?

Saints-94 said:
0.5v?
Ok! Now for the one we've been working towards ... how will the accelerations compare?

Will the acceleration be twice as much at the block compared to the log?

<h2>1. What is the concept behind using pulleys in this scenario?</h2><p>The use of pulleys in this scenario allows for the distribution of weight and force, making it easier to lift and move heavy objects. By using multiple pulleys, the force required to lift the masses on the incline plane is reduced.</p><h2>2. How do the masses on the incline plane affect the system?</h2><p>The masses on the incline plane create a force that must be overcome in order to lift them. This force is dependent on the mass of the objects and the angle of the incline plane. As the masses increase, the force required to lift them also increases.</p><h2>3. What is the relationship between the number of pulleys and the force required to lift the masses?</h2><p>The more pulleys that are used, the less force is required to lift the masses. This is due to the distribution of weight and force across multiple pulleys, reducing the overall force needed to lift the masses.</p><h2>4. How does the angle of the incline plane affect the system?</h2><p>The angle of the incline plane affects the force required to lift the masses. As the angle increases, the force required to lift the masses also increases. This is because the weight of the masses is acting more perpendicular to the incline plane, making it more difficult to lift.</p><h2>5. What other factors can impact the system besides the number of pulleys and the angle of the incline plane?</h2><p>The friction between the pulleys and the incline plane, as well as the weight and distribution of the pulleys themselves, can also impact the system. Additionally, the strength and stability of the pulleys and the incline plane must also be considered in order to accurately predict the force required to lift the masses.</p>

Related to 3 pulleys - 2 masses on incline plane

1. What is the concept behind using pulleys in this scenario?

The use of pulleys in this scenario allows for the distribution of weight and force, making it easier to lift and move heavy objects. By using multiple pulleys, the force required to lift the masses on the incline plane is reduced.

2. How do the masses on the incline plane affect the system?

The masses on the incline plane create a force that must be overcome in order to lift them. This force is dependent on the mass of the objects and the angle of the incline plane. As the masses increase, the force required to lift them also increases.

3. What is the relationship between the number of pulleys and the force required to lift the masses?

The more pulleys that are used, the less force is required to lift the masses. This is due to the distribution of weight and force across multiple pulleys, reducing the overall force needed to lift the masses.

4. How does the angle of the incline plane affect the system?

The angle of the incline plane affects the force required to lift the masses. As the angle increases, the force required to lift the masses also increases. This is because the weight of the masses is acting more perpendicular to the incline plane, making it more difficult to lift.

5. What other factors can impact the system besides the number of pulleys and the angle of the incline plane?

The friction between the pulleys and the incline plane, as well as the weight and distribution of the pulleys themselves, can also impact the system. Additionally, the strength and stability of the pulleys and the incline plane must also be considered in order to accurately predict the force required to lift the masses.