Pull a rectangular loop through a magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving the equations E=vB and F=qVB. The question is which of the given choices are true, and the student is confused about the correct answer. The correct choices are 1 and 2, and the student is advised to use the right-hand rule to determine the direction of the current and magnetic field.
xzibition8612

Homework Statement

Please see attachment.

Homework Equations

E=vB
F=qVB

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is the last part "which of the following are true". I've tried these choices and all were wrong:

(1, 2, 3)
(1, 2)
(2)
(1, 3)

I really am confused. I swear 1 is right. Right? 2 seems to be right, and 3 should be wrong. But right now I'm confused and don't know what is what. Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• Pull a rectangular loop through a magnetic field.doc
    72.5 KB · Views: 679
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, 1 is indeed right, and 3 should be wrong. For 2, think about which direction the current is flowing in. Use the right-hand rule to find out the direction of the magnetic for all segments of the loop.

Related to Pull a rectangular loop through a magnetic field

1. What happens when you pull a rectangular loop through a magnetic field?

As the loop moves through the magnetic field, it will experience a change in magnetic flux. This change in flux will induce an electric current in the loop, according to Faraday's Law of Induction.

2. How does the orientation of the loop affect the induced current?

The orientation of the loop relative to the magnetic field will determine the direction of the induced current. If the loop is parallel to the field, no current will be induced. If the loop is perpendicular to the field, the induced current will be at its maximum.

3. What factors affect the strength of the induced current?

The strength of the induced current is influenced by the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the loop is moving through the field, and the size and shape of the loop.

4. Can the magnetic field affect the loop even if it's stationary?

Yes, a changing magnetic field can still induce a current in a stationary loop. This is because the magnetic field itself is changing, which results in a changing magnetic flux through the loop.

5. What practical applications does this phenomenon have?

Pulling a rectangular loop through a magnetic field is the principle behind the functioning of electric generators and motors. It is also used in technologies such as magnetic levitation and magnetic braking.