Publications in Particle Physics

In summary, at CERN, a new particle was observed with a precision of 3-3.5 sigma, leading to the publication of hundreds of papers in theoretical physics explaining its role and implications. However, it was later announced that the particle did not actually exist, rendering all those publications meaningless. This raises questions about the process of coming up with theories based on observations and the potential flaws in this approach. The flood of papers may be due to the desire for citations and potential career advancement, as well as the hope that the particle may still be discovered and fit into existing models.
Silviu
Hello! I read several times that those at CERN observe a new particle with a precision of 3-3.5 sigma and overnight (more or less) hundreds of papers in theoretical physics appear explaining the role of that particle and all its physics implication and after a while CERN announces that there was actually no particle discovered and all these publications become meaningless. I was wondering how is this possible, like how can so many scientist can come up with a theory (and I assume they are solid both from a mathematical and physical point of view) about something that (in the end) doesn't even exist? Like isn't a flaw or something in the approach they use if they can so easily come up with something to fit the observations, even if it is wrong? Or how does this work?

Physics news on Phys.org
We cannot derive the laws of the universe from first principles. We observe what is there and then we make theories describing that.
There is a huge range of possible theories - and we need experiments to figure out which one fits to our universe.

All these new theories that come up are possible. If they include a particle that turns out to not exist, it just means they are not how our universe looks like. We couldn't know that before we checked.Is it a good use of theorist time to write hundreds of papers for rather weak hints of potential new particles? That is a different question.
One of the reasons for the flood of papers is the citation count: Get your paper out early and everyone will cite you. That can increase the chance to get a better position, for example. And then there is the remote chance that the particle turns out to actually exist and fit to your favorite model...

Likes vanhees71
Silviu said:
Hello! I read several times that those at CERN observe a new particle with a precision of 3-3.5 sigma and overnight (more or less) hundreds of papers in theoretical physics appear explaining the role of that particle and all its physics implication and after a while CERN announces that there was actually no particle discovered and all these publications become meaningless.

Can you give us two or three examples?

Vanadium 50 said:
Can you give us two or three examples?

I can look for it if you want, although I don't remember the supposed particles and it is hard to find the articles. Here is one that I know about and as they say 500 papers were published based on a particle that proved to not exist.

Related to Publications in Particle Physics

1. What is particle physics?

Particle physics is a branch of physics that studies the smallest building blocks of matter and their interactions. It involves studying the behavior of subatomic particles, such as protons, neutrons, and electrons, and the forces that govern their behavior.

2. What are publications in particle physics?

Publications in particle physics are academic papers or articles that present the results of scientific research in the field of particle physics. These publications are typically peer-reviewed and published in scientific journals, conferences, or online databases.

3. How are publications in particle physics different from other scientific publications?

Publications in particle physics are often highly technical and based on complex theories and experiments. They also tend to involve collaborations between multiple researchers and institutions. Additionally, particle physics publications often have a significant impact on the field and can lead to advancements in our understanding of the universe.

4. What is the process for publishing a paper in particle physics?

The process for publishing a paper in particle physics usually involves conducting research, analyzing data, and writing a manuscript. The manuscript is then submitted to a scientific journal or conference for peer review. If accepted, the paper is published and made available to the scientific community for further study and discussion.

5. How can I access publications in particle physics?

Publications in particle physics can be accessed through various means, such as online databases, academic journals, and conference proceedings. Many universities and research institutions also have access to these publications through their library systems. Additionally, some publications may be available for free through open-access journals or preprint servers.