"Publications and Presentations": what do they mean by presentations?

In summary, the conversation revolves around filling out a grad school application to Berkeley and a specific section titled "Publications and Presentations." The individual is unsure about what to include in this section, particularly regarding presentations. They question if class or seminar presentations should be included and consider contacting the graduate department for clarification. Ultimately, the department defines presentations as talks or posters at conferences, symposiums, or professional meetings and states that including class or seminar presentations will not be penalized. The individual decides to include the best available presentations, even if they are rare for a grad school application in their field of study.
nonequilibrium
I'm filling out a grad application to Berkeley, and one of the forms has the title "Publications and Presentations" and asks
Provide a list of publications or presentations related to your academic or professional background. You may type your information or upload a pdf document.

I have no publications and I haven't given presentations in the context of a conference or the like, so it seems reasonable to leave this blank.

However "presentations" sounds vague. For example, what about

1) Talks I've given? For example in student seminars?
2) Defenses of (bachelors/masters) projects?

Would it make sense to mention those instead of leaving it blank?

Physics news on Phys.org
If it's not spelled out in the application, I would contact the graduate department and ask for clarification.

Generally conference presentations are published in proceedings or special editions of particular journals, so it's generally straight forward to pick out the peer-reviewed work from the non-peer reviewed stuff. Non-peer reviewed stuff may or may not be given weight, depending on how the particular department sees things.

Likes 1 person
Thank you Choppy. I contacted the department and this was their reply (which might be useful for others who stumble upon my question in the future):

By presentations, we mean talks or poster at conferences, symposiums or professional meetings. However, you will not be penalized if you choose to include class or seminar presentations.

I think I would include the best available things - still better than leaving it blank. For a grad school application, conference talks are probably rare.
My experience is limited to particle physics, I don't know how it is elsewhere - as a PhD student, you typically get one or two talks at relevant conferences. Going to an international conference before you start your PhD thesis is quite rare.

In the context of academic applications, "presentations" typically refers to talks or speeches given at conferences, symposiums, or other professional events. These presentations are often based on research or projects that the individual has worked on and are meant to share their findings or ideas with their peers in the field.

In regards to your question about talks given in student seminars or defenses of projects, it would be appropriate to include those in your list of presentations if they are relevant to your academic or professional background. However, it is not necessary to include them if you do not feel they add value to your application.

It is important to be honest and accurate in your application, so if you do not have any publications or presentations to list, it is perfectly acceptable to leave that section blank. Admissions committees understand that not all applicants will have a long list of publications and presentations, especially at the graduate level. Focus on highlighting your strengths and experiences in other areas of your application.

Related to "Publications and Presentations": what do they mean by presentations?

What is a presentation?

A presentation refers to a formal talk or lecture given by a scientist or researcher to present their findings or ideas to an audience. It can include visual aids such as slides, graphs, or charts to enhance the delivery of information.

What types of presentations are there?

There are various types of presentations, including oral presentations, poster presentations, and virtual presentations. Oral presentations involve speaking in front of an audience, while poster presentations use visual aids to present information. Virtual presentations are conducted online through webinars or video conferencing.

How do I prepare for a presentation?

To prepare for a presentation, it is important to thoroughly research the topic and organize the information in a clear and concise manner. Practice your delivery and use visual aids to enhance the presentation. It is also helpful to anticipate potential questions and prepare answers beforehand.

What is the purpose of a publication?

A publication is a written document that presents research findings or ideas to a wider audience. The purpose of a publication is to share new knowledge, theories, or findings with others in the scientific community and contribute to the advancement of a particular field of study.

What are some common publications in the scientific community?

Common publications in the scientific community include journal articles, conference proceedings, and book chapters. Journal articles are typically peer-reviewed and published in academic journals. Conference proceedings are published after presenting research at a conference, and book chapters are published in edited volumes or textbooks.