PSAT abstract inequality question.

In summary, the statements p<s, s<q, and r<p are not necessarily true. This was determined by creating a scenario where p>s and the order of numbers would be r,s,p,q, satisfying the given criteria. Therefore, none of the statements are necessarily true.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member
p<q, r<s, and r<q.

Which of the following statements must be true?

I. p<s
II. s<q
III. r<p

The correct answer could be either one statement, a combination of statements, or none of the statements. Came across this question while helping some high school students prepare for their SATs and I'm embarassed to say it stumped me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try drawing an unlabelled number line, and place 4 points on the line. For the first, p<s, let's assume that p>s. Since for the first two criteria p<q and r<s, this means that the only way the order can fit is if it's r,s,p,q, and since the last criteria r<q holds as well, that means we've found a scenario where p is not less than s, so I. is not necessarily true.

Yea, I pretty much came to the conclusion that none of the three statements are necessarily true.

Yep, precisely.

Related to PSAT abstract inequality question.

1. What is the purpose of a "PSAT abstract inequality question?"

The purpose of a "PSAT abstract inequality question" is to evaluate a student's ability to understand and solve complex abstract problems, specifically related to inequalities. These types of questions are designed to test a student's critical thinking and logic skills.

2. How is a "PSAT abstract inequality question" different from other types of questions on the PSAT?

A "PSAT abstract inequality question" is different from other types of questions on the PSAT because it does not require any specific content knowledge. Instead, it focuses on a student's ability to use logical reasoning and problem-solving skills to arrive at the correct answer.

3. Can you provide an example of a "PSAT abstract inequality question?"

Yes, an example of a "PSAT abstract inequality question" could be: "If 2x + 5 is less than or equal to 15, what is the range of possible values for x?" This question requires the student to understand the concept of inequalities and use algebraic reasoning to solve for the range of values for x.

4. How should I approach a "PSAT abstract inequality question"?

To approach a "PSAT abstract inequality question," it is important to carefully read and understand the question and any given information. Then, use critical thinking and logical reasoning skills to come up with a solution. It may also be helpful to try plugging in different values or drawing a diagram to better understand the problem.

5. How can I prepare for "PSAT abstract inequality questions"?

To prepare for "PSAT abstract inequality questions," it is important to practice solving similar types of problems and develop critical thinking skills. You can also review algebraic concepts and formulas related to inequalities. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with the format and structure of the PSAT can help you feel more confident and comfortable on test day.