Proving x is Even in 2^x+3^y=z^2 (1)

• Thread starter .d9n.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that x is even in the equation 2^x+3^y=z^2. The attempt at a solution involves using modular arithmetic to show that when x is even, 2^x is congruent to 1 mod 3, while when x is odd, 2^x is congruent to 2 mod 3. This suggests that x must be even in order for 2^x and z^2 to agree mod 3. However, it is not a complete proof as it does not consider all possible values of z^2.
.d9n.

Homework Statement

i want to prove that x is even in this equation

2^x+3^y=z^2 (1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

what i have so far is

(1) is congruent to mod3
2^x=z^2(mod3)
when z=1 and x=2 then
4=1(mod3)
so therefore x is even?

have i proved that x is even, or am i missing anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
You proved that if x=2 that it is even perhaps. There are two questions that should immediately come to mind. What can z squared be mod three be as z varies, and what can two to the x look like mod three as x varies? Calculating some small examples of each should suggest a general formula

so z^2 =1 (mod3) unless z=3m for any integer m
with 2^x
im not sure whether
2=1(mod3) or 2=2(mod3)
assuming 2=2(mod 3)
when x is odd
then 2^(2k+1)=2(mod3)
and when x is even
2^x=1(mod 3)

so I am not too sure where to go from here

So if x is odd, does 2^x and z^2 ever agree mod 3

if i was right with assuming 2^(2k+1)=2(mod3)
then no when x is odd it doesn't agree with z^2

oh so does that mean that x has to be even, is that how i prove it?

Related to Proving x is Even in 2^x+3^y=z^2 (1)

1. How can we prove that x is even in the equation 2^x+3^y=z^2 (1)?

This can be proven by using the fundamental theorem of arithmetic, which states that every positive integer can be uniquely represented as a product of prime numbers. Therefore, we can break down each term in the equation into its prime factors and see if there are any odd exponents. If there are, then x cannot be even. If all exponents are even, then we can conclude that x is even.

2. Can we use mathematical induction to prove x is even in this equation?

No, mathematical induction is a method used to prove statements that hold for all natural numbers. However, in this equation, x can be any integer, not just a natural number. Therefore, mathematical induction cannot be used to prove this statement.

3. Is there a simple way to visually represent the proof?

Yes, we can use a proof by contradiction and assume that x is odd. By doing so, we would end up with an equation where the sum of two squares (2^x and 3^y) equals a perfect square (z^2). However, this is impossible by Fermat's Last Theorem. Therefore, our assumption that x is odd must be false and thus, x is even.

4. Can this equation hold true for non-integer values of x, y, and z?

No, since the equation involves raising 2 and 3 to certain powers, x and y must be integers. Additionally, z must also be an integer in order for the equation to hold true.

5. Is there a connection between this equation and Pythagorean triples?

Yes, there is a connection. This equation is known as a Diophantine equation, which is a type of equation that involves three variables and integer solutions. Pythagorean triples are a special type of Diophantine equation in which the sum of the squares of two numbers equals the square of the third number. In this case, 2^x and 3^y can be seen as the two legs of a right triangle and z^2 as the hypotenuse, making this equation a type of Pythagorean triple.