Proving ∏ with summation and/or Lhopitals?

• Thread starter LearninDaMath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the conversation is discussing a proof that shows how the limit of a function can be related to a summation involving π. The proof involves using the series for πcot(πz) and taking the Taylor series expansion of cot(πz) to remove the singularity at 0. Ultimately, it is proven that the summation of 1/n^2 from 1 to ∞ is equal to π^2/6.
LearninDaMath

Homework Statement

Someone in school was showing me this proof or problem that, I believe, proves or yields π via this limit: Lim x-->0 of [itex]\frac{xπcot(πx)}{x}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] = tan(0) = 0

And that this somehow related to a summation [itex]\sum1/k^{2}[/itex] as the sum goes from 1 to ∞.

I don't recall any of the details about the proof or what the proof is proving (but I think it has something to do with proving that that π=3.14 as the sum gets closer to infinity.)

Does anything like this look or sound familiar to any known proof?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
LearninDaMath said:

Homework Statement

Someone in school was showing me this proof or problem that, I believe, proves or yields π via this limit: Lim x-->0 of [itex]\frac{xπcot(πx)}{x}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] = tan(0) = 0

And that this somehow related to a summation [itex]\sum1/k^{2}[/itex] as the sum goes from 1 to ∞.

I don't recall any of the details about the proof or what the proof is proving (but I think it has something to do with proving that that π=3.14 as the sum gets closer to infinity.)

Does anything like this look or sound familiar to any known proof?

There seems to be some confusion with what you have.

First ##\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2}=\frac{ \pi ^2}{6}##.

Here is the proof. I will be using the series for ##(\pi\cot\pi z)'## at ##z=0##

We have that ##\sin\pi z = \pi z\prod\limits_{n = 1}^{\infty}\left(1 - \frac{z^2}{n^2}\right)## which is an entire function with simple zeros exactly at the integers.
We can differentiate termwise by uniform convergence.
So by logarithmic differentiation, we obtain a series for ##\pi\cot\pi z##.
$$
\frac{d}{dz}\ln\left(\sin\pi z\right) = \pi\cot\pi z = \frac{1}{z} - 2z\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2 - z^2}
$$
So we have that ##-\sum\limits_{n = 1}^{\infty}\dfrac{1}{n^2 - z^2} = \dfrac{\pi\cot\pi z - \frac{1}{z}}{2z}##.
In order to observe that the limit as ##z## goes to 0 works, we need to look at the power series of
$$
\pi\cot\pi z = \frac{1}{z} - \frac{\pi^2}{3}z - \frac{\pi^4}{45}z^3 -\cdots.
$$
So by taking the Taylor series expansion of ##\cot\pi z## and multiplying by ##\pi##, we have
\begin{align}
\frac{\pi\cot\pi z - \frac{1}{z}}{2z} &= \frac{- \frac{\pi^2}{3}z - \frac{\pi^4}{45}z^3 -\cdots}{2z}\notag\\
&= -\frac{\pi^2}{6} - \frac{\pi^4}{90}z^2 -\cdots.\notag
\end{align}
At this point, the singularity at 0 has been removed.
So
\begin{align}
\lim_{z\to 0}-\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2 - z^2} = \lim_{z\to 0}\frac{\pi\cot\pi z - \frac{1}{z}}{2z}\notag\\
-\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2} = \lim_{z\to 0}\left[\frac{\pi\cot\pi z - \frac{1}{z}}{2z}\right]\notag\\
\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{6}.\notag
\end{align}

Last edited:

Related to Proving ∏ with summation and/or Lhopitals?

1. How can you prove ∏ using summation and/or Lhopitals?

To prove ∏ using summation, you can use the formula ∏ = lim n→∞ (1 + 1/n)^n. This formula can be derived by using the concept of geometric and arithmetic mean. To prove ∏ using Lhopitals, you can use the formula ∏ = lim n→∞ (n!/n^n). This formula can be derived by using the concept of limits and derivatives.

2. Can you explain the concept of geometric and arithmetic mean in the context of proving ∏?

Geometric mean is the nth root of the product of n numbers, while arithmetic mean is the sum of n numbers divided by n. In the context of proving ∏, we can use the geometric mean to show that the limit of (1 + 1/n)^n approaches ∏ as n approaches infinity. Similarly, we can use the arithmetic mean to show that the limit of n!/n^n approaches ∏ as n approaches infinity.

3. What is the significance of using Lhopitals in proving ∏?

Lhopitals is a powerful tool in calculus that allows us to evaluate limits that would otherwise be indeterminate. In the context of proving ∏, Lhopitals allows us to convert the factorial expression n! into a simpler form, making it easier to evaluate the limit and prove that it approaches ∏ as n approaches infinity.

4. Are there any other methods to prove ∏ besides using summation and Lhopitals?

Yes, there are other methods to prove ∏, such as using infinite series, trigonometric identities, and complex analysis. Each method has its own strengths and limitations and may be more suitable for different contexts or levels of mathematical understanding.

5. Can you provide an example of how to use summation and Lhopitals to prove ∏?

Sure, to prove that ∏ = lim n→∞ (1 + 1/n)^n, we can use the fact that for any real number x, ln(1 + x) = x - x^2/2 + x^3/3 - x^4/4 + ... + (-1)^(n+1) * x^n / n + ... . Therefore, ln((1 + 1/n)^n) = n * ln(1 + 1/n) = 1 - 1/2 + 1/3 - 1/4 + ... + (-1)^(n+1) / n^2 + ... . This series is known as the alternating harmonic series, which is convergent. By the Cauchy condensation test, we can show that the series 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + ... is also convergent. Therefore, by the definition of convergence, we can prove that ∏ = lim n→∞ (1 + 1/n)^n = e^(1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + ...) = e^∑(1/2^n) = sqrt(e).