Proving vector spaces where (a1a2 < equal to 0)

In summary, the conversation discusses a vector set <a1,a2> where a1 and a2 are vectors, but it is not specified in what vector space. The conversation also brings up the definition of the set and the axiom for vector addition, trying to understand why the given set is closed under scalar multiplication but not vector addition. The conversation ends with a suggestion to start by writing the sum of two arbitrary members of the subset.
maiad

Homework Statement

For the vector set<a1,a2>, where (a1a2 < equal to 0)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure why this set is close under scalar multiplication and not in vector addition. Some hints would be nice :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Is <a1,a2> your notation for ordered pairs? In other words, are you trying to define a subset of ℝ2? In that case, it should be easy to find a counterexample.

I don't think it's possible to give you a hint without completely solving the problem for you.

Well i think for vector addition, it's open because there's no negative vector of a1 or a2 since a1a1<0? am I correct? and I'm assuming a1 is a vector, and a2 is another vector.

Then I don't understand the definition of the set. What vector space is this supposed to be a subset of? If a1 and a2 are vectors, what does <a1,a2> and a1a2 mean? I also don't understand the sentence "there's no negative vector of a1 or a2".

um the set is a notation for ordered pairs, I was trying to refer to the axiom for vector addition that states" For each x in V, there exist a vector -x such that x+(-x)=(-x)+x=0" is not satisfied

You said that a1 and a2 are vectors. In what vector space? Or would you like to change that and say that they are real numbers instead? Because if they are vectors, I don't know what a1a2 means.

Why don't you start by just writing down the sum of two arbitrary members of this subset?

Related to Proving vector spaces where (a1a2 < equal to 0)

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects, called vectors, that can be added together and multiplied by scalars, such as real numbers. Vectors in a vector space follow specific rules, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication, that make them behave like arrows in space.

2. How can I prove that a set is a vector space?

To prove that a set is a vector space, you need to show that it satisfies 10 properties called axioms. These include closure under addition and scalar multiplication, associativity, and the existence of a zero vector. If a set satisfies all 10 axioms, it can be considered a vector space.

3. What is the significance of (a1a2 <= 0) in proving a vector space?

The condition (a1a2 <= 0) means that the product of two vectors in the set is less than or equal to 0. This is a necessary condition for a set to be a vector space, as it ensures that the set contains both positive and negative vectors, and that scalar multiplication can result in vectors with different directions.

4. Can a set be a vector space if it does not satisfy (a1a2 <= 0)?

No, a set cannot be considered a vector space if it does not satisfy the condition (a1a2 <= 0). This condition is one of the 10 axioms that a set must satisfy in order to be a vector space. If this condition is not met, the set will not exhibit the necessary properties of a vector space.

5. How is the condition (a1a2 <= 0) used in real-world applications?

The condition (a1a2 <= 0) is often used in real-world applications to describe the relationship between two vectors, such as in physics or engineering. For example, in mechanics, if the dot product of two forces is negative, it means that the forces are acting in opposite directions. In this way, the condition is a fundamental concept in vector analysis and has many practical applications.