Proving vector calculus identities w/ tensor notation

In summary, the vector calculus identity $\vec{\nabla}(fg)=f\vec{\nabla}{g}+g\vec{\nabla}{f}$ can be proven using the product rule and the "big D" notation, which simplifies the calculations.
skate_nerd
I have an vector calculus identity to prove and I need to use vector notation to do it. The identity is $$\vec{\nabla}(fg)=f\vec{\nabla}{g}+g\vec{\nabla}{f}$$ I tried starting with the left side by writing $\vec{\nabla}(fg)=\nabla_j(fg)$. Now I look and that and it really looks like there is nowhere I can go from there. Is there something I am unaware of that you can do with those scalar functions \(f\) and \(g\)? Or would it be a better idea to start this proof with the right side of the identity?

Physics news on Phys.org
skatenerd said:
I have an vector calculus identity to prove and I need to use vector notation to do it. The identity is $$\vec{\nabla}(fg)=f\vec{\nabla}{g}+g\vec{\nabla}{f}$$ I tried starting with the left side by writing $\vec{\nabla}(fg)=\nabla_j(fg)$. Now I look and that and it really looks like there is nowhere I can go from there. Is there something I am unaware of that you can do with those scalar functions \(f\) and \(g\)? Or would it be a better idea to start this proof with the right side of the identity?

Hi skatenerd! :)

Let's take a look at the first component which is the x component.
$$\nabla_1(fg) = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(f \cdot g)$$
Can you apply the product rule to that?Btw, I have moved your thread to the sub forum Calculus, which covers this topic.

I guess I was expecting it to be more complicated than that...haha thank you

I am fond of the "big D" notation, which seems easier to read to me.

In this notation, we have:

$\nabla(fg) = (D_1(fg),D_2(fg),D_3(fg))$

$= (fD_1g + gD_1f,fD_2g + gD_2f,fD_3g + gD_3f)$

$= (fD_1g,fD_2g,fD_3g) + (gD_1f,gD_2f,gD_3f)$

$=f(D_1g,D_2g,D_3g) + g(D_1f,D_2f,D_3f) = f\nabla g + g\nabla f$

Related to Proving vector calculus identities w/ tensor notation

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and behavior of vector fields, which are functions that assign a vector to each point in a space. It is commonly used in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and mechanics.

2. What are tensor notations in vector calculus?

Tensor notation is a way of representing vector calculus equations using tensors, which are mathematical objects that generalize the concept of vectors and matrices. They allow for a more concise and elegant representation of equations involving multiple vectors and their derivatives. Tensors are commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the relationships between physical quantities.

3. How do you prove vector calculus identities using tensor notation?

To prove vector calculus identities using tensor notation, you need to manipulate the tensors in the equation using the rules of tensor algebra. This typically involves expanding the tensors into their components, applying operations such as multiplication and contraction, and then simplifying the resulting expression. The goal is to show that both sides of the equation are equal.

4. What are some common vector calculus identities proved with tensor notation?

Some common vector calculus identities that can be proved using tensor notation include the divergence theorem, Stokes' theorem, and the curl-curl identity. These are important tools in vector calculus and are used in various fields of physics and engineering to solve problems involving vector fields.

5. Why is proving vector calculus identities with tensor notation important?

Proving vector calculus identities using tensor notation allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying mathematical concepts and relationships between physical quantities. It also provides a more concise and elegant way of representing equations, making it easier to solve complex problems. Additionally, it is a crucial tool for advanced studies in physics and engineering.