Proving vector calculus identities using the levi-civitia symbol

In summary, the proof for the given identity involves using the levi-civitia symbol and the einstein-summation convention. By expressing the right hand side in terms of the summation and the symbol, the two sides can be manipulated until similarities are found, leading to the correct connecting path between the two sides.
CmdrGuard

Homework Statement

Prove [tex]\nabla \bullet (\textbf{A} \times \textbf{B}) = \textbf{B} \bullet (\nabla \times \textbf{A}) - \textbf{A} \bullet (\nabla \times \textbf{B}) [/tex]

I'd like to prove this using the levi-civitia symbol: [tex] \epsilon_{ijk} [/tex] and einstein-summation convention as practice and because it seems the most elegant way to deal with problems like these.

Homework Equations

[tex] (\textbf{A} \times \textbf{B})_i = \epsilon_{ijk} a_j b_k [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

What follows is what I get so far:

[tex]\nabla \bullet (\textbf{A} \times \textbf{B}) = \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}(\textbf{A} \times \textbf{B})_i = \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} \epsilon_{ijk} A_j B_k = \epsilon_{ijk} \left[ A_j \frac{\partial B_k}{\partial x_i} + B_k \frac{\partial A_j}{\partial x_i} \right] [/tex]

Now don't the partial derivatives with respect to [tex] x_i [/tex] force [tex] k = i [/tex] in the first sum and [tex] j = i [/tex] in the second sum? I must be doing something wrong because if so, then this equality becomes zero which is not correct.

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tex doesn't seem to be working, so i can;t read your post...

first call nabla g then you want to show
g.(AxB) = B.(gxA) - A.(xB)

so first express in terms of
g.(AxB) = (d/dx_k)(e_ijk A_i B_j)

then expand using product rule

CmdrGuard said:
Now don't the partial derivatives with respect to [tex] x_i [/tex] force [tex] k = i [/tex] in the first sum and [tex] j = i [/tex] in the second sum?
The levi-civitia symbol sets repeated indices to zero, so it would be the opposite of what you say, in the sense that when k or j do equal i, the element goes to zero. I think you might have mistaken the levi-civitia symbol for the kronecker delta symbol...

That goes for what you're doing wrong, but as for the proof, I tried for a little bit to do it and sort of got somewhere, but it probably wouldn't help much. I'd suggest writing out the right hand side in terms of the einstein summation and the lc symbol and then manipulating the two until you start to see the similarities, that will probably guide you as to the correct connecting path between the two sides.

Although I think after looking at it that this way of manipulating the identity is perhaps not the most elegant way when the standard proof is probably much simpler.

ok so now i can read the tex
[tex]
\nabla \bullet (\textbf{A} \times \textbf{B})
= \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}(\textbf{A} \times \textbf{B})_i
= \frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} \epsilon_{ijk} A_j B_k
= \epsilon_{ijk} \left[ A_j \frac{\partial B_k}{\partial x_i} + B_k \frac{\partial A_j}{\partial x_i} \right]
[/tex]

now i would continue rearranging as
[tex]
= \epsilon_{ijk} A_j \frac{\partial B_k}{\partial x_i} + \epsilon_{ijk}B_k \frac{\partial A_j}{\partial x_i}
[/tex]

then to clarify change some dummy indicies and rearrange for clarity
[tex]
= \epsilon_{ijk} A_j \frac{\partial B_k}{\partial x_i} + \epsilon_{mnp}B_p \frac{\partial A_n}{\partial x_m}
[/tex]
[tex]
= A_j (\epsilon_{ijk} \frac{\partial }{\partial x_i} B_k)+ B_p (\epsilon_{mnp}\frac{\partial }{\partial x_m} A_n)
[/tex]

then a have a think about the definition of the cross product in index notation, in particular the ordering of indexes.

Last edited:
CmdrGuard said:
Now don't the partial derivatives with respect to [tex] x_i [/tex] force [tex] k = i [/tex] in the first sum and [tex] j = i [/tex] in the second sum? I must be doing something wrong because if so, then this equality becomes zero which is not correct.

What am I doing wrong?

not too sure what you mean here, but my answer is no.

Think of [itex] A_k = A_k(x_1, x_2, x_3) [/itex] then differentiate. The fact that both i & k are repeated in the levi cevita symbol means you sum over that index

CmdrGuard said:

What am I doing wrong?
You're confusing
[tex]\frac{\partial A_j}{\partial x_i}[/tex]
with
[tex]\frac{\partial x_j}{\partial x_i}[/tex]
The latter is equal to δij, so only the i=j terms survive when you sum over one of the indices. But that's not what you have in this problem.

Related to Proving vector calculus identities using the levi-civitia symbol

What is the Levi-Civita symbol and how is it used in vector calculus identities?

The Levi-Civita symbol, also known as the permutation symbol, is a mathematical symbol used to represent the sign of a permutation of a set of numbers. In vector calculus, it is used to simplify cross products and to represent triple vector products.

Why is the Levi-Civita symbol important in proving vector calculus identities?

The Levi-Civita symbol allows for the simplification of complex vector calculus expressions by representing them in a concise and standardized form. It also helps to identify patterns and relationships between vector quantities.

What are some common vector calculus identities that can be proven using the Levi-Civita symbol?

Some common vector calculus identities that can be proven using the Levi-Civita symbol include the cross product identity, the triple vector product identity, and the vector triple product identity.

What are the steps involved in proving a vector calculus identity using the Levi-Civita symbol?

The first step is to rewrite the identity in terms of the Levi-Civita symbol and the vector quantities involved. Then, use properties of the symbol, such as its antisymmetry and vanishing properties, to simplify the expression. Finally, manipulate the expression algebraically until it is equivalent to the original identity.

Are there any limitations to using the Levi-Civita symbol in proving vector calculus identities?

While the Levi-Civita symbol is a useful tool in simplifying vector calculus expressions, it is not applicable to all identities. It is mainly used for identities involving cross products and triple vector products, and may not be as effective for other types of identities.