Proving Two Sets Are Equivalent

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the equality of two sets using different methods, such as showing they are subsets of each other or invoking definitions. The conversation also delves into proving statements involving the empty set, with some uncertainty about the validity of certain steps in the proof. Ultimately, the main concern is whether the proof is sufficient and how to proceed from a certain step.
Bashyboy
To prove that two sets are in fact the same, do I actually have to prove that the two are subsets of each other; or could I prove that they are equivalent by some other means, such as invoking the definitions of the sets?

For instance, the I am trying to show that the binary set operator ##+## is commutative; that is,

## A + B = B + A##,

where

##A + B = (A-B) \cup (B-A)##.

By using the commutative property of the ##\cup## operator, I was able to prove the equality:

##A + B = (A-B) \cup (B-A) = (B-A) \cup (A-B) = B+A##

Is this a valid proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, as long as you've already proven that union is commutative.

°Yes, I did prove that the union is commutative.

I have another question; it comes from the same problem. I am asked to determine whether ##A + \emptyset = A## is a true statement. Here is my proof:

##A + \emptyset = (A - \emptyset) \cup (\emptyset - A)##

Before we proceed, let us determine the nature of ##(A - \emptyset)## and ##(\emptyset - A)##.

##(A - \emptyset) = \{ x~| x \in A \wedge x \notin \emptyset \}##. The statement ##x \notin x \emptyset ## is always true by definition. Therefore,

##(A- \emptyset) = \{x~| x \in A \wedge T \} = \{x~| x \in A\} = A##.

Here is the portion of my proof that I am unsure of:

##\emptyset - A = \{x~| \underbrace{x \in \emptyset} \wedge x \notin A \}##. The underlined portion is always a false statement, as the empty set never houses any elements. As such,

## \emptyset - A = \{x~| F \wedge \underbrace{x \notin A}\}##. The truth value of the underlined portion is irrelevant to the truth value of the entire statement. Thus,

## \emptyset - A = \{x~| F \}##...

I would interpret this as being the empty set, but I do not have any basis for such an inference. How might I justly proceed from this last step in my proof?

EDIT:

What if I wrote ##\emptyset - A = \{x~|\forall xp(x) = F\}##, where ##p(x)## is the condition that must be satisfied in order for the element ##x## to be a member. What ##p(x)=F## states is, that every ##x## makes the statement false, meaning that it can contain no elements.

Would this be sufficient reasoning?

Last edited:
B- A is, by definition, "All members of B that are not in A". If B is empty, B- A is the empty set no matter what A is.

Bashyboy said:
Here is the portion of my proof that I am unsure of:

##\emptyset - A = \{x~| \underbrace{x \in \emptyset} \wedge x \notin A \}##. The underlined portion is always a false statement, as the empty set never houses any elements. As such,

## \emptyset - A = \{x~| F \wedge \underbrace{x \notin A}\}##. The truth value of the underlined portion is irrelevant to the truth value of the entire statement. Thus,

## \emptyset - A = \{x~| F \}##...

I would interpret this as being the empty set, but I do not have any basis for such an inference. How might I justly proceed from this last step in my proof?
I think you're fine simply saying that ##\emptyset-A = \emptyset##, but if you're still worried, you can show that ##\emptyset \subset \emptyset-A## and ##\emptyset-A \subset \emptyset##.

Related to Proving Two Sets Are Equivalent

1. How do you prove that two sets are equivalent?

To prove that two sets are equivalent, you must show that they have the same number of elements and that all elements in one set are also in the other set.

2. Can two sets with different elements be equivalent?

No, for two sets to be equivalent, they must have the same number of elements and all elements must be the same. If the elements are different, the sets are not equivalent.

3. What types of mathematical operations can be used to prove two sets are equivalent?

The most common mathematical operations used to prove two sets are equivalent are set union, set intersection, and set complement. These operations help to show the relationships between the elements in each set.

4. Are there any visual representations that can help in proving two sets are equivalent?

Yes, Venn diagrams are often used to visually represent two sets and their elements. If the two sets have the same number of elements and all elements are the same, the Venn diagram will show two overlapping circles with all elements in the intersecting region.

5. Is it possible for two sets to be equivalent but not equal?

Yes, it is possible for two sets to be equivalent but not equal. This means that they have the same number of elements and all elements are the same, but they may be arranged or expressed differently within each set.