Proving Three Zeroes for x3 - 15x + 1 in Closed Interval [-4,4]

• Thread starter iamsmooth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary, The problem is to show that x3 - 15x + 1 has three zeroes within the closed interval [-4,4]. The suggested method is to substitute values within the range and use the intermediate value theorem to show a sign change and therefore a zero. It is noted that the sign changes may not necessarily occur at integer values of x.
iamsmooth

Homework Statement

Show that x3 - 15x + 1 has three zeroes in the closed interval [-4,4].

Homework Equations

I think it's just subbing.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, with that range, I think I can just list them as so:

From here, I figure out an answer by subbing each into each. And through the intermediate value theorem, if 2 numbers have a 0 between them, that should prove one zero is present. I continue this until I discover 3. So first, I when subbing in -4, I get:

-64 + 50 + 1 = -3

Subbing in -3 for x, we get:

-27 + 45 + 1 = 19

So there must be a 0 between -3 and 19. Thus, I have found one, I continue until I find 2 more?

Am I doing this question right? Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, if you can find three sign changes, then there are at least three roots.

Thanks! I guess sign changes is a better way of looking at it. Appreciate the help!

Though the sign changes do not necessarily show up at integer values of x.

For example, if the function is 0 at x= 1/2 and at x= 3/4, looking at x= 0 and 1 would miss that.

Related to Proving Three Zeroes for x3 - 15x + 1 in Closed Interval [-4,4]

1. What is continuity?

Continuity refers to the uninterrupted and smooth flow of a process or phenomenon. In science, it often refers to the consistent behavior or properties of a system or substance.

2. How is continuity important in science?

Continuity is crucial in science as it allows for the accurate prediction and understanding of natural phenomena. It also helps in identifying patterns and relationships between different variables.

3. What is a continuity equation?

A continuity equation is a mathematical expression that represents the conservation of mass or energy in a system. It states that the rate of change of a quantity is equal to the sum of all the sources and sinks of that quantity within the system.

4. How is continuity related to different fields of science?

Continuity is a fundamental concept in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and mathematics. It is used to explain and model phenomena in these fields, such as fluid flow, chemical reactions, and population dynamics.

5. How can continuity be disrupted or broken?

Continuity can be disrupted or broken by external influences or changes in the system. For example, a sudden change in temperature or pressure can alter the behavior of a substance, causing a break in continuity. It can also be disrupted by the introduction of new variables or constraints.