Proving the Work-Energy Theorem A lot of calculus, anyone?

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle moving on a curved path and being acted upon by a net force. The goal is to prove the work energy theorem for this general case. This involves using the equations F=ma and W=Fd, and integrating to show that the total work done is equal to the change in kinetic energy. The conversation also mentions the need for parametrization and understanding of line integrals.
Elysian

Homework Statement

A particle moves on a curved path from (x1, y1,z1) to (x2, y2,z2). At the start, the particle has a velocity of v = v1xi+v1yj+v1zk. This curved path can be divided into segments infinitesimally, which are, dl = dxi +dyj +dzk. It is acted on by a net force F = Fxj + Fyi + Fzk. The force components Fx, Fy, and Fz, are in general functions of position. Prove the work energy theorem for this general case. That is prove that

Wtot=K2-K1

where

Wtot=[itex]\int[/itex]F dl = [itex]\int[/itex] Fxdx + Fydy + Fzdz

where the limits of integration are from (x1, y1,z1) to (x2, y2,z2) for each.

Homework Equations

W = Fd
∫F=W

ax= [itex]\stackrel{dvx}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\stackrel{dvx}{dx}[/itex] *[itex]\stackrel{dx}{dt}[/itex] = vx[itex]\stackrel{dvx}{dx}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really have any idea where to start but what I did was I took the velocities and made them into accelerations then changed the Fx, Fy, and Fz, into max, may, and maz values, then I'm confused now because I have an integral which looks like this..

[itex]\int[/itex] m*vx*dvx + m*vy*dvy/dx dy + m*vz*dvz/dx dz

which makes no sense because the dx only canceled out for the X direction, and I need to prove that Wtot = 1/2 mvf^2 - 1/2mvi^2

If anyone could help it'd be appreciated because I've got really no idea what I am doing

Physics news on Phys.org
Bolded means vectors. Note that x = (x1,x2,...xn). The period denotes dot product.

Let W = ∫F.dx
F = m(d2x/dt2)

W = m∫(d2x/dt2).dx
W = m∫(dv/dt).dx

Note that this step is somewhat hand-wavy but it's true. I think it would be a good exercise for you to prove this. To do that, you first need to learn about how line integrals work, and the process of parametrization. Hint: dx=(dx/dt)dt

W = m∫dv.(dx/dt)
W = m∫(dx/dt).dv
W = m∫v.dv
W = m(1/2 v.v) = 1/2 m|v|2

Is your name Ping?

Last edited:

Related to Proving the Work-Energy Theorem A lot of calculus, anyone?

1. What is the Work-Energy Theorem?

The Work-Energy Theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that states the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

2. How is the Work-Energy Theorem mathematically represented?

The Work-Energy Theorem can be mathematically represented as W = ΔKE, where W is the net work done on an object and ΔKE is the change in kinetic energy of the object.

3. What is the role of calculus in proving the Work-Energy Theorem?

Calculus is essential in proving the Work-Energy Theorem because it allows us to calculate the work done on an object by integrating the force over a distance, and to calculate the change in kinetic energy by integrating the object's acceleration over time.

4. Can the Work-Energy Theorem be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the Work-Energy Theorem can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, rotational, and oscillatory motion. It is a universal principle that applies to all objects in motion.

5. How is the Work-Energy Theorem used in real-world applications?

The Work-Energy Theorem is used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the energy output of a machine, determining the efficiency of a system, and understanding the motion of objects in various scenarios, such as car crashes or roller coaster rides.