Proving t is a Metric for Real Numbers Pairs

In summary, the conversation discusses the steps for proving that t(P,Q) is a metric for the set of all ordered pairs of real numbers. The first three parts of the definition of a metric are proven, and the focus is on proving the fourth part, which involves using the triangle inequality. The conversation includes a detailed explanation of how to approach the proof, including using the max formula and considering all possible cases. Eventually, a concise one or two line proof is presented.
happyg1
Hello,
I'm working on this problem:
If t(P,Q)=max(|x1 - x2|,|y1 - y2|), show that t is a metric for the set of all ordered pairs of real numbers.
I have proved the first three parts of the definition of a metric
1) t(P,Q) >0
2) t(P,Q) =0 IFF P=Q
3) t(P,Q) = t(Q,P)
all not so hard.
I'm having trouble getting started on the 4th part:
4) t(P,Q) <= t(P,R) + t(R,Q)

My confusion lies in where, exactly, I'm trying to go.
I wrote: Let R=|z1-z2|
It appears that I need to go for something that looks like this:
max(|x1 - x2|,|y1 -y2|)<=max(|x1 - x2|,|z1-z2|)+max(|y1 -y2|,|z1-z2|)
So I did this:
t(P,Q)=max(|x1 - x2|,|y1 -y2|)=max(|x1-z1+z1-x2|,|y1+z2-z2+y2|)
now, I could group x1-z1 and z1-x2, together and do the same thing with the second part, but I don't see how this is going to get me any closer to proving that this is a metric. I know I'm just having a block on something. What I have done doesn't seem right, and I don't know which way to go.
Any nudges in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.
CC

Physics news on Phys.org
This is presumably a metric on R^2?

Just do it case by case if you must ie suppose that d(x,y) = |x_1 - y_1|, there are only 8 cases to check.

happyg1 said:
I'm having trouble getting started on the 4th part:
4) t(P,Q) <= t(P,R) + t(R,Q)

My confusion lies in where, exactly, I'm trying to go.
I wrote: Let R=|z1-z2|
It appears that I need to go for something that looks like this:
max(|x1 - x2|,|y1 -y2|)<=max(|x1 - x2|,|z1-z2|)+max(|y1 -y2|,|z1-z2|)
Correct, that's the triangle inequality. The distance from point P to point Q should be smaller or equal to the sum of distances if you go via some other point R.

So you are given three numbers [itex]a=|x_1-x_2|, b=|y_1-y_2|, c=|z_1-z_2|[/itex]. And you need to show that max(a,b)<=max(a,c)+max(b,c).
It's not difficult if you realize that max(a,c) is larger or equal than a and max(b,c) is larger or equal to b.

This way will get you all eight or so cases at once

This way will get you all eight or so cases at once:

Let a,b,c>0 be defined by [itex]a=|x_1-x_2|, b=|y_1-y_2|, c=|z_1-z_2|[/itex].

Note that:

[tex]\mbox{max}(x,y)=\frac{1}{2}\left(x+y+\sqrt{\left(x-y\right) ^2}\right)[/tex]

(for a reference to this, see here.

and recall that

[tex]\mbox{(i) } \left| x - y\right| \leq \left| x\right| + \left| y\right| ,[/tex]

and note that the obvious statement [itex]k\leq \left| k\right| \mbox{ for any }k\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] with [itex]k=\left| x\right| - \left| y\right| [/itex] yields

[tex]\mbox{(ii) } \left| x\right| - \left| y\right| \leq \left| \left| x\right| - \left| y\right| \right| [/tex]

this implies

[tex]\mbox{(iii) } \left| x\right| \leq \left| \left| x\right| - \left| y\right| \right| + \left| y\right| [/tex]

since a,b,c>0, by (i) we have

[tex]\mbox{(1) } \left| a - b\right| \leq a + b[/tex],

and by (iii) (twice) we have

[tex]\mbox{(2) }a \leq \left| a-c\right| +c,[/tex]

and

[tex]\mbox{(3) }b \leq \left| b-c\right| +c[/tex]

Adding (2) and (3) gives

[tex]\mbox{(4) }a+b \leq 2c + \left| a-c\right| + \left| b-c\right| [/tex]

Combining (1) and (4) gives

[tex]\mbox{(5) } \left| a - b\right| \leq 2c + \left| a-c\right| + \left| b-c\right| [/tex]

add (a+b) to both sides of (5) to get

[tex]\mbox{(6) }a+b+ \left| a - b\right| \leq a+c + \left| a-c\right| + c+b+\left| b-c\right| [/tex]

then multiply by both sides 0f (6) by 1/2 and replace

[tex]\left| a - b\right| ,\left| a-c\right| , \left| b-c\right| [/tex]

with

[tex]\sqrt{\left( a - b\right) ^2} ,\sqrt{\left( a -c\right) ^2} ,\sqrt{\left( c - b\right) ^2} ,[/tex]

respectively, which, when restated in terms of the equation for max(x,y) given above, gives the required inequality, namely

[tex]\mbox{max}(a,b) \leq \mbox{max}(a,c) + \mbox{max}(c,b)[/tex]

But its kinda, well, long.

Last edited:
Not as long as mine!
That's AWESOME!
I did the 8 cases all super rigorus becuase my professor likes it like that, even though it feels like monkey work repeating the same thing over and over...I knew about that max formula, but I didn't think to apply it like that. VERY VERY cool.
Thanks

Eh? But it's just a 1 line proof!
Since [itex]\max(a,c)\geq a[/itex] and [itex]\max(b,c)\geq b[/itex] the sum is greater than or equal to both a and b and thus greater than or equal to [itex]\max(a,b)[/itex].

EDIT: You have to use the fact that a,b,c are positive. So I guess that makes it 2 lines. Oh well.

Last edited:
Nice one Galileo!

Galileo said:
Eh? But it's just a 1 line proof!
Since [itex]\max(a,c)\geq a[/itex] and [itex]\max(b,c)\geq b[/itex] the sum is greater than or equal to both a and b and thus greater than or equal to [itex]\max(a,b)[/itex].
EDIT: You have to use the fact that a,b,c are positive. So I guess that makes it 2 lines. Oh well.

Related to Proving t is a Metric for Real Numbers Pairs

1. What is a metric?

A metric is a mathematical concept that describes the distance or similarity between two objects in a space. In this case, we are looking at metrics for real number pairs, which means we are interested in measuring the distance or similarity between two pairs of real numbers.

2. How do you prove that t is a metric for real number pairs?

There are three criteria that must be met in order to prove that t is a metric for real number pairs:

• Positivity: t(a, b) ≥ 0 for all real number pairs (a, b)
  • Symmetry: t(a, b) = t(b, a) for all real number pairs (a, b)
  • Triangle Inequality: t(a, c) ≤ t(a, b) + t(b, c) for all real number pairs (a, b, c)
If t satisfies all three criteria, then it is considered a metric for real number pairs.

3. Why is it important to have metrics for real number pairs?

Metrics for real number pairs allow us to measure the distance or similarity between two pairs of real numbers, which is important in many mathematical and scientific fields. For example, metrics are used in geometry to measure the distance between points, and in statistics to measure the similarity between data points.

4. Can t be used as a metric for any other type of data?

No, t is specifically defined as a metric for real number pairs. It cannot be used as a metric for other types of data, such as strings or vectors. However, there are other metrics that can be used for different types of data, and the criteria for these metrics may be different from t.

5. How is t different from other metrics for real number pairs?

There are many different metrics that can be used for real number pairs, and t is just one of them. What sets t apart from other metrics is that it satisfies the three criteria of positivity, symmetry, and triangle inequality. Some other metrics may only satisfy one or two of these criteria, but t satisfies all three, making it a strong and reliable metric for real number pairs.