Proving the Upper Bound for Primes Using Induction

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to prove that the nth prime number is less than or equal to 22^n-1 using the method used to prove Euclid's Theorem. This involves a proof by induction and using a recurrence relation to show that the nth prime is less than or equal to a nested form of prime numbers. It is shown that this nested form has a highest power of 2 equal to 3*2^n-3, which is less than 2^n-1. This proves the desired inequality for all n>=2.
cwatki14
I am aiming to prove the following:
Let 2 = p1 < p2 < p3... be the sequence of primes in increasing
order. Prove that pn ≤ 22n-1.(Hint: Show that the method used to prove Euclid’s Theorem also proves that pn ≤ p1p2...pn−1 + 1.)

So I started doing the proof via induction, letting n=2 be my base case. That's pretty straightforward. I assume that it is true for all n≤k, now I am trying to prove true for k+1.
My issue lies in the fact I don't know how to tie into the method from Euclid's Thm (pn ≤ p1p2...pn−1 + 1) into what I am actually trying to prove (pn ≤ 22n-1). Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
well euclids theorem takes the next prime as p =p1...pn-1 +1. this number is indeed prime distinct from the others. but it might not be the next prime in the increasing sequence of primes. thus, pn must be less than or equal to this value.

now we have a recurrence relation if we use that inequality. with some effort you can show that pn <= p1(((...(p1+1)((p1+1)+1)+1)))) a nested form. now the highest power that 2 will achieve in this multiplication is equal to 3*2^n-3 since for each n the highest power of two when we multiply the above nested form out is
3*2^n-3 < 4*2^n-2 -1=2^n-1 -1. then pn <= sum(n=0:2^n-1 -1)=2^2^(n-1)

sorry the last inequality is pn <= sum(n=0:2^n-1 -1)=2^2^(n-1) -1 < 2^2^(n-1). also note this strict inequality holds for all n>=2. for n=1 we have equality.

Related to Proving the Upper Bound for Primes Using Induction

1. What is the concept of "prime numbers"?

"Prime numbers" are positive integers that are divisible only by 1 and themselves. They have no other factors and cannot be divided evenly by any other number.

2. What is the "proof by induction" method?

"Proof by induction" is a mathematical proof technique where a statement is first proven to be true for a base case, and then it is shown that if the statement holds for a particular case, it also holds for the next case. This process is repeated until the statement is proven to be true for all cases.

3. How is the "proof by induction" method used to prove the infinitude of prime numbers?

The "proof by induction" method can be used to prove the infinitude of prime numbers by assuming that there is a largest prime number and then showing that there must be a larger prime number. This contradicts the assumption and proves that there is no largest prime number, thus showing that there are an infinite number of prime numbers.

4. Can the "proof by induction" method be used to prove any statement about prime numbers?

Yes, the "proof by induction" method can be used to prove any statement about prime numbers as long as the statement can be broken down into smaller cases that can be proven using the base case and the inductive step.

5. Are there any limitations to the "proof by induction" method for proving statements about prime numbers?

The "proof by induction" method can only be used for statements that are true for all cases. If a statement is only true for a limited number of cases, then the "proof by induction" method cannot be used to prove it.