Proving the Truth of 3(b) in Basic Set Theory

In summary, for 3(a) and 3(b), the question is asking to show that X is a subset of Y by excluding B from the left hand side and showing that W, a smaller set, is a subset of Y. For 3(a), the statement is false and a counter example can be used to prove it. For 3(b), the statement is true and the RHS will always be larger, but the method of proving it is unclear.
isabelle york
how do I go about doing 3(a) and 3(b)?

I'm guessing that for 3(a), it is true, since we have for LHS:

P((A or B) and C)

we can consider the case P(A and C) by excluding B, and this is a subset of the RHS when we also exclude B: (P(A) and P(C)).

We can consider excluding B because it's in an OR function.

Thanks x
isabelle

Attachments

• mathsprob2.png
    mathsprob2.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
When you exclude B from the left hand side you make the left hand side smaller - So the question is asking you to show that X is a subset of Y, and you showed that W is a subset of Y where W is a smaller set than X is.

Office_Shredder said:
When you exclude B from the left hand side you make the left hand side smaller - So the question is asking you to show that X is a subset of Y, and you showed that W is a subset of Y where W is a smaller set than X is.

I've managed to do 3(a), it is false. I used the counter example: A= a, B= b, C = a, b.

How do I do 3(b)? 3(b) is 3(a) reversed.

I'm pretty sure 3(b) is true since the RHS will always end up being 'larger', but i don't know how to go about proving it.

EDIT: ignore my reasoning in the OP, I was confused then.

Related to Proving the Truth of 3(b) in Basic Set Theory

What is basic set theory?

Basic set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is used to describe relationships between groups of objects.

What is the definition of a set in basic set theory?

A set is a collection of distinct objects, called elements, that are grouped together based on a common characteristic or property. The elements of a set can be anything, such as numbers, letters, or even other sets.

What is the difference between a set and a subset in basic set theory?

A subset is a set that contains only elements from another set. This means that all the elements in the subset are also elements of the larger set. On the other hand, a set can have elements that are not in any other set, making it a superset.

What are the basic operations in set theory?

The basic operations in set theory include union, intersection, and complement. Union combines two sets to form a new set that contains all the elements from both sets. Intersection finds the common elements between two sets. Complement finds all the elements that are not in a given set.

How is basic set theory used in other fields of study?

Basic set theory has applications in various fields, such as computer science, statistics, and physics. It is used to model and solve problems involving groups of objects, such as data sets, logical statements, and physical systems.