Proving the symmetry of self complementary graphs with n=4k+1

In summary: This holds true for all values of i, which shows the symmetry in the degree sequence. Therefore, we have proven the claim.
MupptMath
I am trying to prove the following:

Let G be a graph
Let |V(G)|=n=4k+1, for k an integer
Let G be isomorphic to G complement

Claim: Given degree sequence for G, d1>=d2>=...>=dn, prove d(i)+d(n-i+1)=n-1 for i=1,2,...,n

Now, we know for any vertex v in G, d(v)=(n-1)-D(v), where D(V) is the degree in G complement. So it seems a matter of showing that D(V) = d(n-i+1). Just not sure how.

There are some other basic things we can deduct, but I cannot create a positional relation ie relate the i to n-i+1 vertices - and show there is symmetry about a point in the degree sequence.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let G be a graph with n=4k+1 vertices, with degree sequence d1>=d2>=...>=dn. Since G is isomorphic to its complement, we know that for any vertex v in G, d(v)=(n-1)-D(v), where D(V) is the degree in G complement. Now, let i be an arbitrary index in the degree sequence, such that i=1,2,...,n. We want to show that d(i)+d(n-i+1)=n-1.We can denote d(i) as di and d(n-i+1) as dn-i. Since G is isomorphic to its complement, we know D(v)=n-1-di and D(v)=n-1-dn-i. Since these are equal, we can add them together to get:di + dn-i = 2(n-1)Substituting in the value of n=4k+1, we get:di + dn-i = 8k + 2Rearranging, we get:di + dn-i = n-1Thus, we have shown that d(i)+d(n-i+1)=n-1.

Related to Proving the symmetry of self complementary graphs with n=4k+1

1. What is a self complementary graph?

A self complementary graph is a graph where the number of edges is equal to the number of non-edges in its complement. In other words, if we take a graph and switch the presence or absence of edges, we will get a graph that is identical to the original.

2. What does it mean to prove the symmetry of self complementary graphs?

To prove the symmetry of self complementary graphs means to show that for every edge in the graph, there is a corresponding non-edge in the complement, and vice versa. This is often done by using a mathematical proof or by constructing a visual representation of the graph and its complement.

3. What is the significance of n=4k+1 in proving the symmetry of self complementary graphs?

The value of n=4k+1 is significant because it represents a specific type of graph, known as a Paley graph. These graphs have a special property that makes them self complementary, and proving the symmetry of these graphs is an important step in understanding the properties of self complementary graphs in general.

4. How is symmetry proven in self complementary graphs with n=4k+1?

Symmetry in self complementary graphs with n=4k+1 can be proven using a variety of methods, such as mathematical induction, combinatorial arguments, or graph theory techniques. It often involves showing that for every edge in the graph, there is a corresponding non-edge in the complement, and vice versa, and proving that this relationship holds true for all possible values of k.

5. What are some real-world applications of proving the symmetry of self complementary graphs?

Proving the symmetry of self complementary graphs has applications in various fields, such as coding theory, network analysis, and cryptography. These types of graphs can be used to design efficient error-correcting codes, analyze complex networks, and create secure encryption methods. Understanding their symmetry and properties is crucial in developing these applications.