Proving the Property of Covariance Function: (r(n)-r(m))^2≤2r(0)(r(0-r(n-m)))

In summary: OK, so you have a stationary process in which \text{Cov}(X_{n+k},X_n) = r(k), k=0,1,2, \ldots . In that case, the notation in the question still does not make sense: the RHS involves ##r(0-r(n-m))= -r(n-m)##, and I cannot fathom this. If we stick to your definition, this means \text{Cov}(X_k,X_{k-(-r(n-m))}),and there is no reason for a time like ##t = k -(-r(n-m
trenekas
Hi all. My task is to prove the property of covariance function:

##(r(n)-r(m))^2≤2r(0)(r(0-r(n-m)))##

My solution:

##1) (r(n)-r(m))^2=r(n)^2-2r(n)r(m)+r(m)^2##
##2) 2r(0)(r(0)-r(n-m)))=2r(0)^2-2r(0)r(n-m)##

From covariance function properties I know that ##2r(0)^2≥r(n)^2+r(m)^2##
So now I just need to prove that ##r(0)r(n-m)≤r(n)r(m)##
But don't know how to do that. Any thoughts? I'm not sure, maybe my way of solution is bad and I need to find other one. Any help would be appreciate.

Physics news on Phys.org
trenekas said:
Hi all. My task is to prove the property of covariance function:

##(r(n)-r(m))^2≤2r(0)(r(0-r(n-m)))##

My solution:

##1) (r(n)-r(m))^2=r(n)^2-2r(n)r(m)+r(m)^2##
##2) 2r(0)(r(0)-r(n-m)))=2r(0)^2-2r(0)r(n-m)##

From covariance function properties I know that ##2r(0)^2≥r(n)^2+r(m)^2##
So now I just need to prove that ##r(0)r(n-m)≤r(n)r(m)##
But don't know how to do that. Any thoughts? I'm not sure, maybe my way of solution is bad and I need to find other one. Any help would be appreciate.

What is the function ##r(n)##; that is, how is it defined, and what is its relation to anything?

Ray Vickson said:
What is the function ##r(n)##; that is, how is it defined, and what is its relation to anything?
If I understand you I'll try to answer.
##r(n)## is covariance function of stationary process. ##r(n)## show the covariance between two random variables and ##n## is operator of distance.
##r(n)=EX_nX_0-EX_nEX_0##
Because process X is stationary, then ##EX_nX_0-EX_nEX_0=EX_{n+h}X_h-EX_{n+h}EX_h##
And some properties:
##r(0)≥0##
##r(h)=r(-h)##
##|r(h)|≤r(0)##
But it does not help me to solve the problem :(

trenekas said:
If I understand you I'll try to answer.
##r(n)## is covariance function of stationary process. ##r(n)## show the covariance between two random variables and ##n## is operator of distance.
##r(n)=EX_nX_0-EX_nEX_0##
Because process X is stationary, then ##EX_nX_0-EX_nEX_0=EX_{n+h}X_h-EX_{n+h}EX_h##
And some properties:
##r(0)≥0##
##r(h)=r(-h)##
##|r(h)|≤r(0)##
But it does not help me to solve the problem :(

OK, so you have a stationary process in which
[tex] \text{Cov}(X_{n+k},X_n) = r(k), k=0,1,2, \ldots . [/tex]
In that case, the notation in the question still does not make sense: the RHS involves ##r(0-r(n-m))= -r(n-m)##, and I cannot fathom this. If we stick to your definition, this means
[tex] \text{Cov}(X_k,X_{k-(-r(n-m))}),[/tex]
and there is no reason for a time like ##t = k -(-r(n-m)) = k + r(n-m)## to be integer-valued.

Did your problem statement have a typo in it? Did you really mean ##r(0) - r(n-m)?##

Last edited:
Oh my God. I made a mistake :) In the first line it should be ##r(0)*(r(0)−r(n−m))##

Related to Proving the Property of Covariance Function: (r(n)-r(m))^2≤2r(0)(r(0-r(n-m)))

What is the covariance function property?

The covariance function property is a statistical concept that describes the relationship between two random variables. It measures how the values of one variable change in relation to the values of the other variable.

How is the covariance function property calculated?

The covariance function property is calculated by taking the product of the deviations of each variable from their respective means, and then averaging those products. It can also be calculated using a formula that takes into account the sample size and the covariance of the two variables.

What does a positive covariance indicate?

A positive covariance indicates that the two variables are positively related, meaning that as one variable increases, the other variable tends to increase as well. This can also be interpreted as a direct relationship between the two variables.

What does a negative covariance indicate?

A negative covariance indicates that the two variables are inversely related, meaning that as one variable increases, the other variable tends to decrease. This can also be interpreted as an indirect relationship between the two variables.

What is the significance of the covariance function property in data analysis?

The covariance function property is used in data analysis to understand the relationship between variables and to identify patterns in the data. It is also a key component in calculating other statistical measures such as correlation and regression.