Proving the Presentation of S_3 with <x,y|x^3=y^2=(xy)^2=1>

• Thread starter happyg1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
Thus G is isomorphic to S_3.In summary, the goal is to show that the group S_3 has the presentation <x,y|x^3=y^2=(xy)^2=1>. To do this, the group is first shown to have a maximum order of 6 by constructing a normal subgroup H=<x> and subgroup K=<y>. Then, it is proven that G=<x><y> and that both G and S_3 have identical effective group actions on a set. This implies that |G|=6 and the homomorphism from G to S_3 is actually an isomorphism, making the presentation <x,y|x^3=y^2=(xy)^2=1> valid
happyg1

Homework Statement

Show that [tex]S_3[/tex] has the presentation [tex]<x,y|x^3=y^2=(xy)^2=1>[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]x^{-1}=x^2,y^{-1}=y,xyxy=1[/tex]
[tex]xyx=y^{-1}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let H=<x>, has at most order 3.
Then
[tex] y^{-1}xy=yxy=x^{-1}=x\in < x >[/tex]
[tex]x^{-1}xx=x\in < x > [/tex]

so
[tex]<x>\lhd G[/tex]

Then let <y>=K
and use
If
[tex] H,K\subseteq G ,H\lhd G[/tex]
then
[tex]G=<x><y> \subseteq G[/tex]
[tex]G=<xy>=<x><y>[/tex]
So
[tex]|G|\leq 6[/tex]

Or I can write out all possible elements of the group
[tex]\{x,y,x^2,xy,x^2y,(xy)x^2\}[/tex]
So the group presented has order of at most 6.(not sure if that's true)

My trouble comes when I try to show that it IS 6.

Do I list all of the cosets? How do I get equality so that I can show that this presentation is isomorphic to S3?

CC

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you're masochistic, you can write out the isomorphism and multiplication tables for [itex]S_3[/itex] and [itex]G[/itex], but that seems a bit excessive.

An alternative might be to show that there are only two possible groups of order [itex]6[/itex] and one of them is commutative.

Another option might be to show that [itex]G[/itex] and [itex]S_3[/itex] both have identical effective group actions on a set. Since you already know that [itex]|G|=6[/itex] showing that [itex]G<S_3[/itex] is sufficient, which, in turn can be showing by effective group action of [itex]G[/itex] on a set of order 3.

P.S.
Notation -- this is really not a big deal, but it bugs me.
[tex] y^{-1}xy=yxy=x^{-1}=x\in < x >[/tex]
Has [itex]x[/itex] referring to two different values. Splitting it into
[tex]y^{-1}xy=yxy=x^{-1}[/tex]
and
[tex]x^{-1} \in <x>[/tex]
is probably clearer.

What do you know about kernels of homomorphisms?

Ok here's what I came up with:
Consider:
[tex]a=(12) b=(123)[/tex]
then
[tex] a^2=(12)(12)=1;
b^3=(123)(123)(123)=1;
(ab)^2=(13)(13)=1[/tex]

let [tex]N=<ab|a^2=b^2=(ab)^2=1>[/tex]so then let x------>(12) and y------>(123)

F({xy})------->S3 is an onto homomorphism
and
G------->S3 is an onto homomorphism
but this implies that [tex]|G| \geq 6[/tex]
putting that together with what I showed above, that [tex]|G| \leq 6[/tex] this means that |G|=6 and the homomorphism from G to S3 is actually an isomorphism. (The kernel is contained in N)

I don't know for sure if my reasoning here is correct, and I'm not sure if it's completely clear.
Please give me some input.
thanks,
CC

Last edited:
You say you wrote out all the elements

[tex]\{x,y,x^2,xy,x^2y,(xy)x^2\}[/tex]

in G. I don't see the identity in there...

The elements are:

e

then look at powers of x:

x,x^2

cos x has order 3

powers of y

y

cos y has order 2. Now that leaves mixed powers:

xy, x^2y

and we know that yx=x^2y, hence we can always write a word as one of the 6 listed items, e,x,x^2,y,xy,x^2y, and that these are all distinct. Clearly there are only 2 groups of order 6 (prove this - you simply need to look at what expressions xy might be eqaul to), this is one of them it isn't abelian, so it is S_3.

Related to Proving the Presentation of S_3 with <x,y|x^3=y^2=(xy)^2=1>

What is a group presentation?

A group presentation is a presentation made by a group of individuals on a specific topic or subject. Each member of the group contributes their own ideas and knowledge to create a cohesive and informative presentation.

How do you prepare for a group presentation?

To prepare for a group presentation, it is important to first establish clear roles and responsibilities for each member of the group. Research and gather information on the topic, and then create an outline or script for the presentation. Practice the presentation together to ensure a smooth delivery and make any necessary revisions.

What are the benefits of a group presentation?

A group presentation allows for a diverse range of perspectives and ideas to be shared on a topic. It also distributes the workload among group members, making it less stressful for individuals. Group presentations also promote teamwork and communication skills.

How do you handle conflicts within a group presentation?

Conflicts within a group presentation should be addressed calmly and professionally. First, listen to all perspectives and try to find a compromise. If that is not possible, involve a mediator or seek guidance from a supervisor. It is important to handle conflicts in a respectful and constructive manner to maintain a positive group dynamic.

What makes a group presentation successful?

A successful group presentation is one that effectively communicates the topic to the audience and engages them throughout. It should be well-organized, visually appealing, and include a variety of media such as visuals, audio, or interactive elements. Additionally, strong teamwork, preparation, and delivery are key factors in a successful group presentation.