Proving the Locally Finite Family Problem

• Thread starter radou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Finite
In summary, in order to show that Cl(U A) = U (Cl(A)), it is necessary to prove that every point in X has a neighborhood which intersects a finite number of sets in A, and that every neighborhood of a point in U (Cl(A)) intersects at least one set in A. This can be achieved by assuming the contrary and reaching a contradiction.
radou
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Let X be a topological space, and A a locally finite family of sets in X (i.e. such a family of sets that every point in X has a neighborhood which intersects a finite number of sets in A). One needs to show that Cl(U A) = U (Cl(A)) (i.e. the closure of the union of sets in A equals the union of the closures of sets in A).

The Attempt at a Solution

Inclusion [tex]\subseteq[/tex]. Let x be in Cl(U A). Then every neighborhood of x intersects U A. Since A is locally finite, there exists some neighborhood N of x which intersects A in a finite number of sets.

This is where I'm stuck, right at the beginning. Somehow, I need to show that this very x is contained in some set of the family A, since then it's contained in U (Cl(A)), too. Any push in the right direction is highly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let V be a neighbourhood of x intersecting A1,A2,...An. Assume the contrary, that x doesn't belong to the closure of any Ai.Then, we can choose a neighbourhood Vi of x which doesn't intersect Ai for each i.
The intersection W of V & Vi (1<=i<=n) is open & doesn't intersect any of A's & hence is not in U A. Therefore, x is not in Cl(U A), a contradiction.

Eynstone said:
Let V be a neighbourhood of x intersecting A1,A2,...An. Assume the contrary, that x doesn't belong to the closure of any Ai.Then, we can choose a neighbourhood Vi of x which doesn't intersect Ai for each i.
The intersection W of V & Vi (1<=i<=n) is open & doesn't intersect any of A's & hence is not in U A. Therefore, x is not in Cl(U A), a contradiction.

Eynstone, thanks a lot. So, for the other inclusion, it's similar: let x be in U (Cl(A)), then every neighborhood of x intersects at least one set from A, and if we assume the contrary, i.e. that x is not in Cl(U A), then there exists some neighborhood of x which doesn't intersect any set from the family A, which is clearly a contradiction. (Although I didn't use the finite intersection property here, but perhaps I don't need to, if this is okay.)

Related to Proving the Locally Finite Family Problem

1. What is the "Locally finite family problem"?

The Locally finite family problem is a mathematical problem that asks whether a given collection of mathematical objects (such as sets, groups, or graphs) can be covered by a finite number of smaller objects of the same type. It is a fundamental problem in mathematics with applications in various fields, including topology, algebra, and combinatorics.

2. How is the "Locally finite family problem" different from other mathematical problems?

The Locally finite family problem is unique because it focuses on the local properties of a mathematical structure, rather than its global properties. It asks whether a structure can be covered by a finite number of smaller structures, rather than whether the structure itself is finite.

3. What are some real-world applications of the "Locally finite family problem"?

The Locally finite family problem has applications in a variety of fields, including computer science, physics, and biology. For example, it can be used to study the structure of networks and communication systems, as well as the properties of physical systems at a microscopic level.

4. Are there any known solutions to the "Locally finite family problem"?

Yes, there are known solutions to the Locally finite family problem for certain types of structures, such as finite graphs and finite groups. However, for more complex structures, the problem remains open and is an area of active research in mathematics.

5. What are some current research directions for the "Locally finite family problem"?

Current research on the Locally finite family problem includes studying its connections to other mathematical problems, such as the Erdős-Szekeres conjecture and the Dushnik-Miller theorem. Additionally, researchers are exploring new techniques and approaches to solve the problem for more complex structures.