Proving the Limit of f(x)-g(x) for Even Integer Polynomials

In summary: Just be careful - you need to make sure you are keeping track of signs. For example, what is the degree of x4 - 2 when x is very large and negative? What is the degree of x4 - (-3x2 + x) when x is very large and negative?oh ok I get what you meanso I should be careful in considering the degree of the terms or else a positive polynomial with larger degree could be dominated by a negative polynomial with smaller degreeIn summary, the problem is trying to prove that the limit of the difference between two polynomials, f(x) and g(x), with degrees k and n (where k and n are positive even integers and n>k) approaches negative infinity as x approaches
madah12

Homework Statement

I want to prove that a polynomial f(x) and a polynomial g(x) with degrees of k,n where k,n are positive even integer, n>k
that limit x-> - infinity of f(x)-g(x)=-infinity

Homework Equations

a polynomial can be written as
a1x^n+a2x^(n-1)...+a(n-1)x+an

The Attempt at a Solution

Since n>k and k,n are positive even integers there is a positive even integer C such that
n=(k+C)
therefore we write f(x)=a1x^k+a2x^(k-1)+...+a(k-1)x+ak/b1x^(c+k)
g(x)=b1x^(k+C)+b2x^(k+C)-1+...+b(k+c-1)x+b(k+c)
f(x)-g(x)=[a1x^k+a2x^(k-1)+...+a(k-1)x+ak]-[b1x^(k+C)+b2x^((k+C)-1)+...+b(k+c-1)x+b(k+c)]
=b1x^(k+c)[[a1/(b1*x^c) + a2/(b1*x^(-c-1)) ...a(k-1)/b1x^(c+k-1) + ak/b1x^(c+k)] -[ 1+b2/b1x +...+b(c+k-1)/b1x^(k+c-1)+bc+k/b1x^(c+k)]]
as x->-infinity
c/x^n = 0 THEOREM
therefore
since k+c is even then lim x->-infinity x^(c+K)=infinity
so limit x->-infinity f(x)-g(x)
=infinity *[(0+0+...+0+0)-(1+0...+0+0)=infinity * -1 = -infinity.
I know this isn't any kind of rigorous proof so how can I improve it?

Physics news on Phys.org
would this also qualify as proof for limit x->-infinity of g(x)-f(x) = infinity?

any help?

It's not true, in general. The behavior of a polynomial depends on both its degree and the sign of the highest degree coefficient.

For example,
[tex]\lim_{x \to -\infty} 3x^2 = +\infty[/tex]

but
[tex]\lim_{x \to -\infty} -2x^2 = -\infty[/tex]

For the theorem you are trying to prove, g(x) is of higher degree than f(x), so g(x) is going to dominate f(x) in the difference f(x) - g(x), when x is very large or very negative.

Here are a couple of specific examples:
[tex]\lim_{x \to -\infty} x^2 - 2x^4= -\infty[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{x \to -\infty} x^2 - (-3x^4 + x^3)= +\infty[/tex]

but it is true if I assume both a1 and b1 to be positive?
Also I am assuming both polynomials have positive even degrees
so I am safe from the argument that 0 is a polynomial.

madah12 said:

Homework Statement

I want to prove that a polynomial f(x) and a polynomial g(x) with degrees of k,n where k,n are positive even integer, n>k
that limit x-> - infinity of f(x)-g(x)=-infinity

Homework Equations

a polynomial can be written as
a1x^n+a2x^(n-1)...+a(n-1)x+an

The Attempt at a Solution

Since n>k and k,n are positive even integers there is a positive even integer C such that
n=(k+C)
therefore we write f(x)=a1x^k+a2x^(k-1)+...+a(k-1)x+ak/b1x^(c+k)
What do you mean "therefore"? You should first define f(x) and g(x). A nicer way to do things is to have the indexes of the coefficients match the exponents on the variables. For example, you could define f(x) as
f(x) = akxk + ak-1xk-1 + ... + a1x + a0, with a similar definition for g(x).

Why do you have this term at the end? ak/b1x^(c+k)

madah12 said:
g(x)=b1x^(k+C)+b2x^(k+C)-1+...+b(k+c-1)x+b(k+c)
f(x)-g(x)=[a1x^k+a2x^(k-1)+...+a(k-1)x+ak]-[b1x^(k+C)+b2x^((k+C)-1)+...+b(k+c-1)x+b(k+c)]
=b1x^(k+c)[[a1/(b1*x^c) + a2/(b1*x^(-c-1)) ...a(k-1)/b1x^(c+k-1) + ak/b1x^(c+k)] -[ 1+b2/b1x +...+b(c+k-1)/b1x^(k+c-1)+bc+k/b1x^(c+k)]]
as x->-infinity
c/x^n = 0 THEOREM
therefore
since k+c is even then lim x->-infinity x^(c+K)=infinity
so limit x->-infinity f(x)-g(x)
=infinity *[(0+0+...+0+0)-(1+0...+0+0)=infinity * -1 = -infinity.
I know this isn't any kind of rigorous proof so how can I improve it?

uhm actually because when I was making the post I mistaken that line with the next I didn't notice this ak/b1x^(c+k)
Also about the therefore I meant that the general form of a polynomial is that of what I wrote.
Why would it matter if I started at a0or started at ac+k?

Start by defining f(x) and g(x). You can index the coefficients either way, but it makes it easier to follow if the coefficient index matches the exponent.

ok then f(x) ,g(x) are polynomials
f(x)=akx^k+ak-1x^(k-1)+...+a1x+a0
g(x)=b(c+k)x^(c+k) +b(c+k)-1x^(c+k-1)+...+b1x+b0

Then f(x) - g(x) = akx^k+ak-1x^(k-1)+...+a1x+a0 - (b(c+k)x^(c+k) +b(c+k)-1x^(c+k-1)+...+b1x+b0)

You can factor xk out of all terms and then take your limit.

shouldnt I factor bc+kx^(c+k)?
so I get bc+kx^(c+k) [(0-0-...-00-0)-(1-0-0-0)
=infinity (-1)=-infinity?
because everything else will have an x in the denominator and as x-> infinity all will go to 0.

OK, yes, you could do that.

Related to Proving the Limit of f(x)-g(x) for Even Integer Polynomials

1. What is the definition of a limit for even integer polynomials?

A limit for even integer polynomials is the value that a polynomial function approaches as the input (x) approaches a specific value. In other words, it is the value that the polynomial function gets closer and closer to as x gets closer to the specific value.

2. How do you prove the limit of f(x)-g(x) for even integer polynomials?

The limit of f(x)-g(x) for even integer polynomials can be proved by using the definition of a limit, which involves finding the limit of f(x) and g(x) separately and then taking the difference of their limits. If the difference of their limits is equal to the limit of f(x)-g(x), then the limit is proven.

3. Can the limit of f(x)-g(x) exist for all even integer polynomials?

No, the limit of f(x)-g(x) may not exist for all even integer polynomials. The existence of the limit depends on the behavior of the polynomial function as x approaches the specific value. If the function approaches a single value, the limit exists. However, if the function oscillates or approaches different values from different directions, the limit may not exist.

4. What is the role of even integer polynomials in proving limits?

Even integer polynomials are important in proving limits because they have a defined behavior as x approaches a specific value. This allows for the use of algebraic manipulation and other mathematical techniques to determine the limit of the polynomial function.

5. Are there any specific techniques for proving the limit of f(x)-g(x) for even integer polynomials?

Yes, there are specific techniques for proving the limit of f(x)-g(x) for even integer polynomials. These include using algebraic manipulation, factoring, and the properties of limits, such as the sum and difference properties. It is also important to analyze the behavior of the polynomial function as x approaches the specific value to determine if the limit exists or not.