Proving the limit of a multivariable function

In summary, we can use the delta epsilon method to show that the limit of a function f(x,y) as (x,y) approaches a point (a,b) exists and equals zero, by manipulating the expression and choosing a suitable value for delta in terms of epsilon. This method can be applied to various problems, such as finding the limit of a function in polar coordinates.
SiriusAboutAstronomy

Homework Statement

Find the limit if it exists, or show that the limit does not exist.
lim (x,y)-> (1,0) (xy-y)/((x-1)^2+y^2)

Homework Equations

lim (x,y)-> (a,b) f(x,y)
0<((x-a)^2+(y-b)^2)^1/2<[itex]\delta[/itex]
abs(f(x,y)-L)<[itex]\epsilon[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to prove that it does not exist by analyzing the limit coming in from the x & y axes, and along lines y=x, yatta yatta. I kept getting 0, so I then tried to prove the limit exists and equals zero using the delta epsilon method. There I ran into problems, I have a total of 3 calculus books, each only has one example for the method and they are all the same example, which is also the same and only example that was covered in my class. lim (x,y) -> (0,0) (3yx^2)/(x^2+y^2). I am just looking for a starting point.

So far I have
0<((x-1)^2+(y)^2)^1/2<[itex]\delta[/itex]
abs((xy-y)/((x-1)^2+y^2))<[itex]\epsilon[/itex]
I know I need to manipulate it so that I can relate delta to be some multiple of epsilon, but don't know how.

Physics news on Phys.org
ConradYoung said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

lim (x,y)-> (a,b) f(x,y)

I tried to prove that it does not exist by analyzing the limit coming in from the x & y axes, and along lines y=x, yatta yatta. I kept getting 0, so I then tried to prove the limit exists and equals zero using the delta epsilon method. There I ran into problems, I have a total of 3 calculus books, each only has one example for the method and they are all the same example, which is also the same and only example that was covered in my class. lim (x,y) -> (0,0) (3yx^2)/(x^2+y^2). I am just looking for a starting point.

So far I have
I know I need to manipulate it so that I can relate delta to be some multiple of epsilon, but don't know how.
Try another path.

y = m(x-1) approaches the point (1, 0) along a line of arbitrary slope.

ConradYoung said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

lim (x,y)-> (a,b) f(x,y)

So far I have

I'd first try a change of variables. Put u=x-1. So the limit is now (u,y)->(0,0). Denominator becomes u^2+y^2. What's the numerator? It might be easier to see that way.

Last edited:
Thank both of you.

Would either of you mind giving an example of using the delta epsilon method anyway?

ConradYoung said:
Would either of you mind giving an example of using the delta epsilon method anyway?

You don't need it for this one. It has no limit.

Would either of you mind giving a different* example of using the delta epsilon method anyway?

ConradYoung said:
Would either of you mind giving a different* example of using the delta epsilon method anyway?

Ok, take f(x,y)=4xy/sqrt(x^2+y^2). (x,y)->(0,0). Change it to polar coordinates. You get |4r*cos(θ)*r*sin(θ)/r|=|4r*cos(θ)*sin(θ)|<=4r. So the limit is 0. And r is the "((x-a)^2+(y-b)^2)^1/2" in your definition. Pick ε>0. You want |f(x,y)-0|<ε, |f(x,y)-0|<4r, so if you pick δ=ε/4 it works.

Related to Proving the limit of a multivariable function

What is the definition of a limit for a multivariable function?

A limit of a multivariable function is the value that a function approaches as the input variables approach a specific point in the domain. It is denoted by the notation lim f(x,y) as (x,y) approaches (a,b).

How do you prove the limit of a multivariable function using the epsilon-delta definition?

To prove the limit of a multivariable function using the epsilon-delta definition, we need to show that for any given positive value of epsilon, there exists a positive value of delta such that the distance between the output of the function and the limit is less than epsilon whenever the distance between the input variables and the specific point is less than delta.

What is the role of directional limits in proving the limit of a multivariable function?

Directional limits are used to determine if a multivariable function has a limit approaching from different directions. This is important because a function may have a limit when approaching from one direction, but not from another.

What are the common techniques used to prove the limit of a multivariable function?

Some common techniques used to prove the limit of a multivariable function include the squeeze theorem, the sandwich theorem, and the use of polar or spherical coordinates. Other techniques may also involve simplifying the function, using algebraic manipulations, or applying theorems such as the mean value theorem or the intermediate value theorem.

Can the limit of a multivariable function be proven without using the epsilon-delta definition?

Yes, there are other methods to prove the limit of a multivariable function, such as using theorems mentioned in the previous question or using graphical and numerical evidence. However, the epsilon-delta definition is considered the most rigorous and precise method of proving a limit.