Proving the Inequality of e^x Using Taylor's Theorem

• Thread starter AaronEx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the inequality 1+\frac{x}{1!}+\frac{x^2}{2!}+...+\frac{x^n}{n!} \le e^x \le 1+\frac{x}{1!}+\frac{x^2}{2!}+...+\frac{x^n}{n!}+\frac{e^ax^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}. The individual provides their attempt at a solution using Taylor's theorem and expanding e^x on the interval [0,a]. They also discuss the error term and argue that the inequality holds true. The other individual confirms that the attempt is correct and no relevant information has been left out.
AaronEx

Homework Statement

Show that if [itex]0 \le x \le a[/itex], and [itex]n[/itex] is a natural number, then [tex]1+\frac{x}{1!}+\frac{x^2}{2!}+...+\frac{x^n}{n!} \le e^x \le 1+\frac{x}{1!}+\frac{x^2}{2!}+...+\frac{x^n}{n!}+\frac{e^ax^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}[/tex]

Homework Equations

I used Taylor's theorem to prove [itex]e^x[/itex] is equal to the LHS of the inequality plus an error term [itex]\frac{e^cx^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}[/itex], where the series is of order [itex]n[/itex] centered at [itex]x=0[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

With the expansion of [itex]e^x[/itex] in the relevant equations section, I proved that, since the error term is greater than or equal to zero, the inequality holds true. Is this correct? As for the RHS inequality, I represented [itex]e^x[/itex] as the expansion again, but this time stating that the expansion is on the interval [itex][0,a][/itex], and so I argued that the RHS was larger than [itex]e^x[/itex] since [itex]e^c \le e^a[/itex]. Is this true as well? Have I left anything relevant out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine.

Related to Proving the Inequality of e^x Using Taylor's Theorem

1. What is the [itex]e^x[/itex] Inequality?

The [itex]e^x[/itex] Inequality, also known as the exponential inequality, is a mathematical expression that compares the values of two exponential functions with different bases. It states that for any real number [itex]x[/itex], [itex]e^x[/itex] is always greater than [itex]x[/itex].

2. How is the [itex]e^x[/itex] Inequality useful?

The [itex]e^x[/itex] Inequality is useful in many areas of mathematics and science, particularly in calculus and differential equations. It allows us to make comparisons between exponential functions and make predictions about their behavior.

3. Can the [itex]e^x[/itex] Inequality be proven?

Yes, the [itex]e^x[/itex] Inequality can be proven using the properties of exponential functions and basic algebra. It can also be derived from the Maclaurin series expansion of [itex]e^x[/itex].

4. Are there any exceptions to the [itex]e^x[/itex] Inequality?

No, there are no exceptions to the [itex]e^x[/itex] Inequality. It holds true for all real numbers [itex]x[/itex].

5. How is the [itex]e^x[/itex] Inequality related to other mathematical concepts?

The [itex]e^x[/itex] Inequality is closely related to the concept of growth rates in mathematics. It is also a fundamental property of the exponential function, which is widely used in many branches of mathematics and science.