Proving the Induction Step for a Fibonacci Property

• Thread starter dlemke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Property
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the formula f(2k + 1) = f^(2)(k) + f^(2)(k + 1) for all k in N. The approach suggested is to start from the definition of the sequence f_(2k+3) = f_(2k+2) + f_(2k-1) and use the formula to be proven for odd indices and rewrite the even indices as a sum of odd index objects. The first step may be challenging, but with further work, the formula can be proven.
dlemke
For all k [tex]\in[/tex] N, f(2k + 1)= f[tex]^{2}[/tex](k) + f[tex]^{2}[/tex](k + 1)

I couldn't find this one in the forum... I am stuck on the induction step, really I have no idea how to get it going. Oh, and the k statements should be in subscript, I was having real problems with LaTex, misreading subs and sups. Thanks for any help, it is greatly, greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start from the definition of the sequence

[tex]f_{2k+3} = f_{2k+2} + f_{2k-1}.[/tex]

For odd indices, use the formula to be proven. For the even index, find a way to rewrite the term as a sum of odd index objects.

[tex]
f_{2k+3} = f_{2k+2} + f_{2k-1}.
[/tex]

Oh, nice, so you are taking the LHS and rewriting it, and hopefully eventually transforming it into the original RHS of the assumption. Thank you so much! That first step just kills me. Ok, I will work more on this in the morning and repost. Thank you for taking the time to help.

Related to Proving the Induction Step for a Fibonacci Property

What is the "Another Fibonacci property"?

The "Another Fibonacci property" is a mathematical property related to the Fibonacci sequence. It states that the ratio of consecutive Fibonacci numbers approaches the golden ratio as the numbers get larger.

How is the "Another Fibonacci property" different from the original Fibonacci property?

The original Fibonacci property states that each number in the sequence is the sum of the two preceding numbers, while the "Another Fibonacci property" focuses on the ratio between consecutive numbers in the sequence.

Why is the "Another Fibonacci property" significant?

The "Another Fibonacci property" is significant because it shows the connection between the Fibonacci sequence and the golden ratio, a value that has been studied and admired for its aesthetic and mathematical properties.

How is the "Another Fibonacci property" used in real-world applications?

The "Another Fibonacci property" has been used in various fields, such as art, architecture, and finance. It can be seen in the proportions of famous artworks, the design of buildings and structures, and even in the stock market to predict patterns in stock prices.

Is the "Another Fibonacci property" proven to be true?

Yes, the "Another Fibonacci property" has been proven to be true through mathematical calculations and experimentation. The more terms of the Fibonacci sequence that are examined, the closer the ratio of consecutive numbers gets to the golden ratio of approximately 1.618.