Proving the Identity: sin2(x)-sin2(x)=sin(x+y)sin(x-y)?

• Thread starter HMFan814
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, the conversation is about proving the identity sin2(x)-sin2(y)=sin(x+y)sin(x-y) and the suggested solution involves using the sum formula for sin(a+b) and sin(a-b) and expanding them, as well as using the identity cos^2-1=sin^2.
HMFan814

Homework Statement

Prove this is an identity:
sin2(x)-sin2(x)=sin(x+y)sin(x-y)

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I have made a lot of attempts but can not get one side to equal the other. I know It's something really simple I am missing, but can't figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Clearly, you meant sin(x)^2-sin(y)^2. Use the sum formula for sin(a+b) and sin(a-b) and expand it. Then use cos^2-1=sin^2. Expand again.

You are correct, I did mean sin2(x) - sin 2(y). And you clearly meant 1-cos2=sin2.
Thanks.

Right.

Related to Proving the Identity: sin2(x)-sin2(x)=sin(x+y)sin(x-y)?

1. How do I prove an identity in mathematics?

To prove an identity in mathematics, you must show that both sides of the equation are equivalent by using logical steps and mathematical properties.

2. What are some common strategies for proving identities?

Some common strategies for proving identities include using algebraic manipulations, substitution of variables, and factoring.

3. What are the most important mathematical properties to use when proving an identity?

The most important mathematical properties to use when proving an identity include the commutative, associative, and distributive properties, as well as the properties of equality and congruence.

4. How can I check if my proof of an identity is correct?

To check if your proof of an identity is correct, you can substitute values for the variables and see if both sides of the equation still hold true. You can also ask a peer or teacher to review your proof.

5. Are there any tips for making the process of proving an identity easier?

Yes, some tips for making the process of proving an identity easier include breaking the proof into smaller, more manageable steps, using diagrams or visual aids, and practicing regularly to improve your understanding of mathematical properties and techniques.