Proving the Greatest Lower Bound of a Set Using the Archimedean Property

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Archimedean property of real numbers to prove that the greatest lower bound of {1/n: n∈ℕ} is 0. The Archimedean principle states that for any number y, there is a natural number such that 1/n is smaller than y for y>0. The conversation also considers the possibility of choosing a real number close to zero as the greatest lower bound, but concludes that 0 is indeed the greatest lower bound due to the Archimedean property.
cragar

Homework Statement

Use the Archimedean property of [itex] \mathbb{R} [/itex] to prove that
the greatest lower bound of [itex] {\frac{1}{n}:n\in\mathbb{N}}=0 [/itex]
the archimedean principle says that for any number y there is a natural number
such that 1/n<y for y>0

The Attempt at a Solution

since all of our numbers in our set are positive. I could pick a real number as close to zero as I wanted but there would still be a natural such that 1/n is smaller than the real I picked, there zero is the greatest lower bound of the set.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, yes, that would be true. What's your question?

Im guessing my statement isn't enough to prove it. Or should I assume that there is a real just to the right of zero and claim that this is the greater lower bound, but then there is always another number 1/n that is smaller and since all 1/n are in the set, that zero has to be the greatest lower bound.

Last edited:
cragar said:
Im guessing my statement isn't enough to prove it

I don't see why not. If y>0 then y is not a lower bound of {1/n} by the Archimedean property. If y=0, then it is since 1/n>0 for all n. Doesn't that make y=0 the greatest lower bound?

ok sweet, thanks for the help.

Related to Proving the Greatest Lower Bound of a Set Using the Archimedean Property

1. What is the greatest lower bound?

The greatest lower bound, also known as the infimum, is a concept in mathematics that refers to the greatest number that is still smaller than or equal to all the numbers in a given set. It is denoted by the symbol "inf" or "⊥".

2. How is the greatest lower bound used in mathematics?

The greatest lower bound is used in various mathematical proofs, particularly in the field of real analysis. It is often used to show the existence of a certain number or to prove the convergence of a sequence.

3. What is the relationship between the greatest lower bound and the least upper bound?

The greatest lower bound and the least upper bound are two fundamental concepts in mathematics that are related to each other. The greatest lower bound is the largest number that is still smaller than or equal to all the numbers in a set, while the least upper bound is the smallest number that is still greater than or equal to all the numbers in the same set.

4. How is the greatest lower bound proof constructed?

The greatest lower bound proof is constructed using the principles of mathematical induction and the properties of the greatest lower bound. It involves showing that the greatest lower bound exists and is unique, and then using it to prove the desired result.

5. What are some real-life applications of the greatest lower bound?

The concept of the greatest lower bound has various applications in real life, particularly in economics and finance. It is used to determine the minimum price or cost of a product or service, to analyze risk and uncertainty in financial markets, and to model decision-making processes in business and economics.