Proving the Floor of nx using Fractional Parts and Induction

• MHB
  • Thread starter Ragnarok7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, the conversation is about proving the equality \lfloor nx \rfloor = \sum_{k=0}^{n-1}\lfloor x+k/n \rfloor, where \lfloor x\rfloor means the greatest integer less than or equal to x. The original poster suggests using cases for n=2 and n=3, but is looking for a more general solution. Another user suggests using a function f(x) and proving that it has certain properties, which would then prove the original equality. The original poster is impressed by this idea and asks how the user came up with it.
Ragnarok7
Prove that \(\displaystyle \lfloor nx \rfloor = \sum_{k=0}^{n-1}\lfloor x+k/n \rfloor\).

Note \(\displaystyle \lfloor x\rfloor\) means the greatest integer less than or equal to \(\displaystyle x\).

I proved the cases where n=2 and n=3 by writing \(\displaystyle x=\lfloor x\rfloor + \{x\}\), where \(\displaystyle \{x\}\) is the fractional part of \(\displaystyle x\), and then using cases where \(\displaystyle 0\leq \{x\}<\frac{1}{n}\), \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{n}\leq \{x\}<\frac{2}{n}\), \(\displaystyle \ldots\), \(\displaystyle \frac{n-1}{n}\leq\{x\}<1\). However, this is tedious and doesn't work in the general case. Does anyone have any suggestions for showing this? I don't see that induction will help.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The outline of a proof goes something like this.

Let $f(x) := \left\lfloor{nx}\right\rfloor - \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} \left\lfloor{x + \frac kn}\right\rfloor$.

Show $f$ has the properties:

$(i)$: $f(x + \frac 1n) = f(x)$, and
$(ii)$: $f(x) = 0$ for $0 \leq x < \frac 1n$.

Then, claim that if $f$ has properties $(i)$ and $(ii)$, $f \equiv 0$, and thus the original equality holds.

Magneto, very clever. Well done.

Thank you! That is great and very simple. Can I ask how you got the idea to do it this way? I would never have thought of it.

Related to Proving the Floor of nx using Fractional Parts and Induction

1. What is "Identity for the floor of nx"?

Identity for the floor of nx refers to the mathematical concept of an identity element in the context of the floor function. The floor function, denoted as "floor(x)" or "⌊x⌋", is a mathematical function that rounds a real number x down to the nearest integer less than or equal to x. The identity for the floor of nx is the value of n that, when multiplied by x and then rounded down, results in the original value of x. In other words, it is the value of n that leaves x unchanged when applied to the floor function.

2. How is the identity for the floor of nx calculated?

The identity for the floor of nx can be calculated by setting up an equation where n is the unknown value. The equation is: n * x = x. Solving for n gives us the identity for the floor of nx, which is simply 1. This means that the identity for the floor of nx is always equal to 1, regardless of the value of x.

3. Why is the identity for the floor of nx important?

The identity for the floor of nx is important because it is a fundamental concept in mathematics. It helps us understand the behavior of the floor function and its relationship to other mathematical operations. It also has practical applications in fields such as computer science, where the floor function is used to round numbers in programming languages.

4. Can the identity for the floor of nx be applied to other mathematical functions?

Yes, the concept of an identity element can be applied to other mathematical functions as well. For example, there is an identity for the ceiling of nx, which is the value of n that leaves x unchanged when applied to the ceiling function (rounding up to the nearest integer). This identity is also equal to 1. The concept of an identity element is a fundamental aspect of abstract algebra and has many applications in various branches of mathematics.

5. Is there a relationship between the identity for the floor of nx and the identity for the ceiling of nx?

Yes, there is a relationship between the identity for the floor of nx and the identity for the ceiling of nx. Both identities have the same value (1) and are related by the floor and ceiling functions. In fact, the identity for the ceiling of nx can be derived from the identity for the floor of nx by applying a simple transformation. This relationship helps us understand the symmetry between rounding down and rounding up in mathematics.