Proof concerning the greatest integer function

In summary, the floor function is a way to calculate the greatest integer less than or equal to a number, and it works for any integer and any real number.
Ragnarok7
I'm unsure if this is a calculus or precalculus topic, but it's from a calculus book, so I'm putting it here. (Note \(\displaystyle \lfloor x \rfloor\) means the floor of \(\displaystyle x\) or the greatest integer less than or equal to \(\displaystyle x\).)

Prove that \(\displaystyle \lfloor x \rfloor +\lfloor y \rfloor \leq \lfloor x+y \rfloor \leq \lfloor x \rfloor + \lfloor y\rfloor +1 \).

I'm not really sure how to go about proofs with the floor function, at least not without splitting it up into a lot of tedious cases. Is there an elegant way to do this? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ragnarok said:
I'm unsure if this is a calculus or precalculus topic, but it's from a calculus book, so I'm putting it here. (Note \(\displaystyle \lfloor x \rfloor\) means the floor of \(\displaystyle x\) or the greatest integer less than or equal to \(\displaystyle x\).)

Prove that \(\displaystyle \lfloor x \rfloor +\lfloor y \rfloor \leq \lfloor x+y \rfloor \leq \lfloor x \rfloor + \lfloor y\rfloor +1 \).

I'm not really sure how to go about proofs with the floor function, at least not without splitting it up into a lot of tedious cases. Is there an elegant way to do this? Thank you!
One useful and easy fact you should know about the floor function is that $\lfloor n+t\rfloor = n+\lfloor t\rfloor$ whenever $n$ is an integer and $t$ is any real.

To prove the first inequality, just write $x=m+f$ for some integer $m$ and some real $0\leq f<1$, and $y=n+g$ for some integer $n$ and some real $0\leq g<1$.

Now we have $\lfloor x+y\rfloor=\lfloor (m+n) + (f+g)\rfloor =m+n+\lfloor f+g\rfloor\geq m+n= \lfloor x\rfloor+\lfloor y\rfloor$.

The other one is similar. Can you try?

Thank you! I knew that fact but I didn't think of doing it like that. I can do the other one now.

Related to Proof concerning the greatest integer function

1. What is the greatest integer function?

The greatest integer function, also known as the ceiling function, is a mathematical function that rounds a number up to the nearest integer. It is denoted by ⌈x⌉ and is pronounced "ceiling of x".

2. How does the greatest integer function work?

The greatest integer function takes a real number as its input and returns the smallest integer greater than or equal to that number. For example, ⌈3.5⌉ = 4 and ⌈5.1⌉ = 6.

3. What is the difference between the greatest integer function and the floor function?

The floor function, denoted by ⌊x⌋, is the opposite of the greatest integer function. It rounds a number down to the nearest integer, whereas the greatest integer function rounds up. For example, ⌊3.5⌋ = 3 and ⌊5.1⌋ = 5.

4. How is the greatest integer function used in real life?

The greatest integer function is often used in computer programming to round numbers up to the nearest integer. It can also be used in finance to calculate interest rates or in statistics to group data into categories. Additionally, it can be used to model real-life situations that involve discrete quantities, such as counting objects or people.

5. What are some properties of the greatest integer function?

Some properties of the greatest integer function include:

• ⌈x⌉ ≥ x for all real numbers x
  • ⌈x⌉ = x if x is an integer
  • ⌈x + n⌉ = ⌈x⌉ + n for any integer n
  • ⌈nx⌉ = n⌈x⌉ for any positive integer n