Proving the Existence of Prime Divisors for Composite Numbers

In summary, a theorem states that if n is a composite integer greater than or equal to 2, there exists a prime number p that divides n and is less than or equal to the square root of n. This can be proven by assuming the opposite and showing a contradiction. Additionally, if 757 is not a prime number, then there exists a prime divisor p that is less than or equal to 23.
FreshUC

Homework Statement

Prove the following Theorem.
Let n ε Z. If n ≥ 2 and n is composite, then there exists a prime p such that p divides n and p ≤ √n.

After proving this Theorem show that if 757 is not a prime, then it has a prime divisor p ≤ 23.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really am confused on how to attack this proof. A little bit of insight on how I could start it would be appreciated. So far I've tried making n = xy becuase n is composite and have played around rearranging the different expressions but nothing seems to workout.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi FreshUC! Welcome to PF! :smile:
FreshUC said:
Let n ε Z. If n ≥ 2 and n is composite, then there exists a prime p such that p divides n and p ≤ √n.

Assume the opposite

that all such p are > √n :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi FreshUC! Welcome to PF! :smile:Assume the opposite

that all such p are > √n :wink:
Thanks for the hint!
Would I be correct then to assume the contrapositive of the statement then prove it to be true? my new assumption would be "If p does not divide n or p > √n Then n < 2 or n is prime."
Or is using the De Morgan's law here unnecessary?

FreshUC said:
"If p does not divide n or p > √n Then n < 2 or n is prime."

uhh? :confused:

sorry, but that's almost unreadable! :redface:

Start "suppose n ≥ 2 and n is composite, and all the prime divisors of n are > √2",

and prove a contradiction! :smile:

so if n = 2 then p^2 > 2. But there is no prime number that can be squared and divide 2. So there is a contradiction? I dunno... maybe it's bed time for me haha

tiny-tim said:
uhh? :confused:

sorry, but that's almost unreadable! :redface:

Start "suppose n ≥ 2 and n is composite, and all the prime divisors of n are > √2",

and prove a contradiction! :smile:

Here is my solution not sure if it's quite right though.

To prove the theorem..

Assume n ≥ 2 where n is composite and all prime divisors of n are >√n.

Let n = 2
Since the only prime divisors of 2 is 1 or 2, then..
p = 1, or
p = 2

but If p = 1 then 1 > √2, Which is FALSE. This contradicts the assumption And so the Theorem is proven to be true.

For the second part of the question...

Assume the opposite, such that If 757 has a prime divisor greater than 23 then 757 is prime.

757 has a prime divisor of 757. And 757 > 23.

So by use of contrapositive it is then proven that 757 has a prime divisor p ≤ 23.

FreshUC said:
To prove the theorem..

Assume n ≥ 2 where n is composite and all prime divisors of n are >√n.

Let n = 2
Since the only prime divisors of 2 is 1 or 2, then..
p = 1, or
p = 2

but If p = 1 then 1 > √2, Which is FALSE. This contradicts the assumption And so the Theorem is proven to be true.

ok, you've proved it for n = 2

what about for n > 2 ?? :redface:
For the second part of the question...

Assume the opposite, such that If 757 has a prime divisor greater than 23 then 757 is prime.

757 has a prime divisor of 757. And 757 > 23.

So by use of contrapositive it is then proven that 757 has a prime divisor p ≤ 23.

what do you mean by "by use of contrapositive"? :confused:

and you haven't used the √ at all :redface:

tiny-tim said:
ok, you've proved it for n = 2
I really need to stop doing that
what about for n > 2 ?? :redface:

what do you mean by "by use of contrapositive"? :confused:
Proving notq →notp instead of p→q because they are logically equivalent.
and you haven't used the √ at all :redface:

I see what you mean. Back to the drawing board with me. This is not going to well

Related to Proving the Existence of Prime Divisors for Composite Numbers

1. What is a prime number?

A prime number is a positive integer that can only be divided by 1 and itself, with no other factors.

2. How do you prove a number is prime?

There are several methods to prove that a number is prime, including the Sieve of Eratosthenes, the Sieve of Sundaram, and the AKS primality test. These methods involve checking for specific patterns or properties in the number.

3. What is the difference between a prime number and a composite number?

A prime number has only two factors, 1 and itself, while a composite number has more than two factors. In other words, a composite number can be divided evenly by numbers other than 1 and itself, while a prime number cannot.

4. Can a number be both prime and composite?

No, a number cannot be both prime and composite. This is because a prime number, by definition, only has two factors, while a composite number has more than two factors. Therefore, a number cannot be both.

5. Are there any special patterns or rules for prime numbers?

There are some patterns and rules that can help identify prime numbers, such as the fact that all prime numbers (except 2) are odd, and that prime numbers cannot end in 0, 2, 4, 5, 6, or 8. However, these patterns are not always foolproof and cannot be relied upon for all prime numbers.